XXIII.

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄
༊*·˚☆: *.☽

i. act iii !

— 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐖𝐈𝐋𝐋𝐎𝐖 𝐖𝐎𝐊𝐄 up, she was confused by the familiar warmth on her side

"Paul?" She whispered groggily into the dark of her room.

The figure holding her shifted slightly, and his arms tightened around the brunette. "Hey, I'm here. It's okay, just go back to sleep." He whispered back soothingly.

Already nodding off once more, she eased back into his arms, whispering one last thing before she let sleep win her over. "I missed you."

He smiled in response and kissed her forehead softly. "I missed you more."

— 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐒𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐎𝐊𝐄 up again, she found herself without the warmth of Paul against her anymore.

She sat up abruptly when the realization fully kicked in through her sleep-addled brain and looked around her room for proof that she hadn't made up his presence earlier.

Just as her hand landed on the other side of her bed, she felt the warmth of the sheets and sighed a breath of relief. He was here.

And as if he knew Willow was thinking about him — he walked into the room with a soft smile on his face. He quickly realized she was awake, and moved to greet her with a gentle kiss on the forehead.

"Mornin' babe. Sleep well?"

Willow hummed in a mix of confirmation and content, as she basked in the feeling of Paul's lips pressed against her skin.

"I did."

He pulled away slightly to look her in the eyes and raised his brows. "You wanna tell me what happened last night?"

She averted his piercing gaze as she mumbled. "Not really."

But he only smirked. "Wasn't really asking, babe."

Stupid wolf hearing.

Sighing, she moved to lean into Paul for comfort.

"I talked to Edward last night. On the phone." She started and paused when she felt Paul tense against her. When he didn't say anything, she continued.

"He'd nearly blown up my phone with how many texts he bombarded me with before I finally responded. And when he told me I was right about what I'd said at the meeting — I couldn't help but want to hear him admit it verbally and not just through text."

She scoffed, "And then he told me what was decided at the meeting — about preparing for battle. And for him to have the audacity to not join in and stand alongside everyone else despite being half the reason the battle is even happening in the first place? The other half going God knows where with him when they run away together?"

She shook her head as she took a breath. "I lost my shit on him, and I'd love to do it again."

Paul sighed heavily, as he rubbed her arm in a soothing pattern of comfort. "As much as I hate it too, babe...I think he might be right."

Willow turned to look at his face properly. "What!?"

He nodded as he tried to placate her once more. "I know, I know, but think about it. If Edward is what the leech wants — the further away from us he is, the better. The rest of us — we can take on the army. That, I'm sure of. But Victoria is good. Her ability will keep her alive. But Edward can still read her mind. If he's alone with her, he might be able to catch her off guard and kill her once and for all."

Her shoulders dropped and she sighed in defeat, moving to lean into Paul once more. "Since when did you become such a strategist?" She grumbled into his chest.

He only laughed in response. "Since I found a reason to stay alive." And as if to ensure she knew he was talking about her — he kissed the top of her head softly and tightened his hold around her waist.

The pack had a long day of training with the Cullens tomorrow, and Willow wanted to spend the rest of their day together just doing that — being together.

She understood that Paul had his duties to the pack that he needed to take care of and prioritize, but she missed her boyfriend. She was taking any chance she got to spend time with him. And now more than ever.

Hell, if she knew she could've pulled it off — she would've kidnapped Paul and Embry and ran as far away from Forks as possible.

As she snuggled deeper into Paul's arms, she made a mental note to call Embry later.

Her boys needed to stay alive. She wouldn't accept anything else.