Confrontation Part II

"Well... Meiying. My dear Meiying. I had no idea you were in town as well. You should have told me. I would have gladly been your escort."

Those were the first words out of Ming Shen's mouth when he laid eyes on Wu Meiying. He didn't even so much as look at Hou Jingshu, which seemed to really upset the girl in question. Her face had turned red and there was a vein throbbing on her forehead. Not that he cared or even saw it. Ming Shen only had eyes for the girl he had been pining after for several years.

Consequently, he also missed the look of hatred that flashed through Juishi Meirin's eyes, though Wu Jian could see it just fine.

"That's very kind of you to offer, but you are already escorting someone else. Besides, I do not wish for anyone other than Jian to escort me."

While the words sounded polite, they were spoken with venom. Wu Meiying's smile was more like a viper's as she wrapped her arms around Wu Jian's as if to emphasize their relationship to Ming Shen. And Wu Jian was more than willing to let her. Nothing would please him more than showing this stuck up toad that Wu Meiying was his and his alone.

Now it was Ming Shen's turn to go red in the face.

"Ming Shen, perhaps you should focus on escorting your own fiancée instead of hitting on Meiying. Nobody likes a man who doesn't know when to raise the white flag," Wu Jian said.

"Wu Jian," Ming Shen hissed. "This has nothing to do with you. Butt out of your father's business."

"It has everything to do with me... Father." Wu Jian narrowed his eyes. "Meiying is mine. She has always been mine, will always be mine, and no matter how many gifts you send her, offers you make her, or sweet nothings you say to her, that will never change."

The more Wu Jian spoke, the redder Ming Shen's face became, until it was so red he thought the other boy's face might combust with rage.

"Very good. I see you have a way with words. You know just what to say to anger me," Ming Shen said, cracking his neck as he took a step forward. "It looks like I'm going to have to put you in your place before the tournament arrives. A shame. I was so looking forward to humiliating you again. You'll regret ever attempting to stick your nose into my business."

Wu Jian slid his arm out of Wu Meiying's grip, walked forward until he was just a few feet from Ming Shen, and glared at the boy. All of the resentment he felt over this annoying cretin bothering Wu Meiying came to the fore. Hot anger bubbled inside of him. It was waiting to be released. He had been hoping to avoid a confrontation until it was time for the tournament, but it looked like that would no longer be possible.

However, while Wu Jian and Ming Shen were locked in a glaring contest, another person was getting ready to erupt. Her name was Hou Jingshu.

"How dare you ignore me!" The feisty princess stepped forward and glared at Ming Shen. "You apparently know nothing of propriety! Is this how the Ming Clan shows other people respect? If so, I can understand why Father has never heard anything about you!"

Ming Shen finally turned to Hou Jingshu and stared at her for several long seconds. He looked her over from her head to her toes, seemingly studying the girl for a moment. Then he licked his lips.

"You're right. My apologies, dear lady. It was quite rude of me to ignore you like that. I was just so overcome with emotion at seeing my Meiying after such a long time that I forgot myself, but do not fret. Someone as refined as myself would never deign to ignore such a resplendent beauty for so long," said Ming Shen. Wu Jian rolled his eyes. As always, this man spoke with the kind of long-winded pomposity expected of most nobles. Well, Wu Jian knew he wasn't much better.