Wu Meiying

Wu Meiying found herself thinking about cultivation methods several days later. She sat on the porch and stared at the garden spread out before her, its plethora of colors set in a vibrant array designed to be aesthetically pleasing to the eyes, though her eyes were unfocused and dull. It only looked like she was admiring the garden to others.

Her mind was far away.

Unlike Wu Jian and Hou Jingshu, who would have to eventually find a cultivation method that suited, Wu Meiying already knew what cultivation method she needed to use. She had known for as long as she'd been alive, since her very first cognizant thought.

Nine Heavenly Time Continuum Manipulation Method.

It was a cultivation method wherein the cultivator compressed time within themselves to better manipulate the flow of time. Of course, the building of chi, the gathering of yin and yang, and the increasing of one's awareness was important, but all of that was secondary to the compression of time.

Wu Meiying did not know how she knew this cultivation method; she did not know where it came from, or how the knowledge of it became locked inside of her. All she knew was that she possessed knowledge of it and always had.

That was all she needed to know.

If she was being honest with herself, that scared her. Knowing she possessed something this powerful but not knowing why was frightening. However, a part of her knew she could not learn any other cultivation method. It was more than just already having one. She physically could not use any method except for the one she already knew.

Who am I? Why do I know these things? Is this cultivation method the reason I can see into the future?

Wu Meiying had always wanted to know this about herself. She had always wanted to know who she was and why she was born with these powers. Unfortunately, since she did not have the ability to control her powers, she was unable to figure out even that much. It was an incessant worry that always remained in the back of her mind. She wondered if she would ever discover her origins.

As she sat there, gazing at nothing, someone called out to her.

"Wu Meiying!"

The voice was young and refreshing, vibrant and lively. It snapped Wu Meiying right out of her daze. She blinked once. Then she smiled and turned just her head to watch the approaching girl. She didn't say anything until the other girl was sitting down next to her, bare feet dangling over the side of the porch.

"Jingshu."

Hou Jingshu was dressed in a soft pink gown that reached her ankles and was made from a light fabric. With the days growing longer and warmer, everyone had taken to wearing more breathable clothes. Even Wu Meiying was wearing rolled up pants, a short-sleeved shirt, and no shoes.

She briefly considered donning a dress like her friend. Wu Jian would no doubt love seeing her in a dress. Impressing him always brought her joy. She discarded the thought seconds later, though, since there was no reason to impress him right now. Wu Meiying would rather wow the boy when it really mattered. She'd pick the right opportunity to leave him speechless.

That was a fun thought.

"What are you doing here? Are you sitting around because Wu Jian is with his father?"

"Hmmm. I suppose." Wu Meiying turned back to the garden and furrowed her brow. "I often find myself thinking about things I'd rather not when Jian is not with me. For some reason, it is easier for me to just not things about anything unnecessary and simply be myself when he's by my side, but lately, he's been getting called out by his father more and more."