Chapter 11 - The One with the Nineties

MacKenzie's POV

"TI-82. Girl, you still fine." Chester says as we walk through a store

"Stop flirting with the calculators." Cisco tells him. "We've got a problem."

"What?" Chester asks

"The X-76 power converter. They just sold the last one to that guy." Cisco says, gesturing over to the man at the counter. Chester gasps. "Okay, chill. It's not that big a deal. He actually looks pretty reasonable. I say we just offer to buy it back from him."

"No, no, no. We can't go after him." Chester says and I turn my head in confusion

"Okay. Why not? Chess, what's going on?" Cisco asks

"We can't go after him because he's my dad." Chester breathes. "I'm the last person he'd want to help right now."

"Chess, you wanna tell us what's going on?" Cisco asks as we make our way outside to sit down

"Look, my Pops was a very smart guy who traveled all the time trying to get rich off of his latest invention, so he never had time for me." Chester says. "It was always, 'Sorry, son. I don't believe in quitting'."

"Look, whatever happened–" Cisco says

"Tomorrow, my dad dies in a car accident on his way to some big meeting in Coast City." Chester says. "Today's the last day I see him alive."

"I'm sorry." Cisco whispers. "That's heavy for anyone, let alone a kid." He says, grabbing my hand subtly and squeezing it

"What if... What if you're here for a reason?" I whisper. "This could be your chance to talk to your dad."

"I'm good with that, dude." Chester says. "I can't save his life. That would just reset the time loop, so... Now I just gotta– just gotta stay firm. Keep doing my thing."

"I understand." Cisco says. "Don't worry about the converter, all right? I'll get it from him."

"Wait. You're gonna go talk to my dad?" Chester asks

"Just long enough to get the X-76." Cisco sasy. "Then I come back here, we fix everything, and it all goes back to normal. That is what you want, right?"

***

Chester goes to talk to his father. He had decided that he wanted to be the person to talk to him. Cisco and I wait int he gym at the school...

"Cisco, Mack, my Pops is pretty cool, man." Chester says, walking over to us

"Yeah?" Cisco asks

"I'm just really glad we had a day to hang out." Chester says. "It made me realize that my Pops isn't just smart. Dude's a genius. Check it." He says, pulling the sensor from his pocket. "Pops and I built it together."

"Wow." I whisper, looking at the sensor

"You know what this means." Cisco says. "Now, we can disrupt the temporal isotopes..."

"And go home!" Chester and Cisco exclaim at the same time

"Yo, nerds!" Deon yells, running in. "Been looking for you!" He says, kicking something

"You ever see Space Jam?" Chester asks

"Four times, man." Deon says. "Oh, man, it's so good. Now, it's time to kick you wannabe Urkels to the curb, because whoever you two are, you don't belong here." He throws his hands to the side and green erupts. His eyes glow green. "This is my time... And you two gotta go."

"Time god." Cisco whisperes

"Thanks for ruining my perfect day, not." Deon says

"Yo, Deon. Why bum around 1998?" Chetser asks. "Man, I thought you left the small-town life for college and the NFL."