Chapter 13 - Growing Pains

MacKenzie's POV

"Okay, so I just talked to the D.A.'s office." Cecile says, sitting down across from Caitlin as Joe and I sit against the wall. "Kramer didn't find anything incriminating in your apartment, so once your bl*od tests come back negative for the meta-gene, they're gonna be forced to release you from custody."

"Great, this is the first time I'm relieved that Frost and I are in different bodies." Caitlin says

"Yeah." Cecile sighs

"How did she know to come after me?" Caitlin asks

"Uh..." Cecile says. "...it was an anonymous tip, which means either somebody got very lucky, or..."

"Or...somebody out there knows that Frost used to be you." Joe says. "I'm sorry, Caitlin, but Kramer wouldn't tell me where the Task Force was headed, and by the time I knew, it was too late. And I had no idea Mack was going to be there." He says, his arm around me

"It's okay, Joe." Caitlin says. "This is not on you."

"This ain't how law enforcement's supposed to work." Joe says, standing. "I'm gonna go talk to Kramer." He says before he walks out of the room

Caitlin locks eyes with me. "Are you okay, sweetie?" She asks and I give her a nod

"Look, I think the next step is–" Cecile says before she is cut off by her phone ringing. "Oh, uh..." She answers. "Frost, where are you?"

"Across the street. You, Caity, and Macky get away from the north wall." Frost says over the phone

"North wall?" Cecile stammers, looking around. I sit up straight, wondering what's happening with the North wall. She lowers her phone/ "Uh-uh, okay, uh... I think that Frost is about to try and bust you out."

"What?" Caitlin asks

"Yeah." Cecile whispers. "MacKenzie, sweetie, over here, now." She says, putting her arm out for me to join her

"Put her on speakerphone." Caitlin orders and Cecile does. "Frost, what the hell are you doing?"

"Getting you out of there." Frost says

"You promised me you would stay put." Caitlin tells her

"Yeah, well, I lied." Frost says. "Now take cover."

"Don't you dare." Caitlin tells her

"You're in there because of me." Frost says

"I'm here because Kramer has some sort of grudge against you, okay?" Caitlin says. "But you're innocent and so am I, so we just need to let this play out, okay? I'll be fine, I promise."

"Yes, yes. Frost, she's right." Cecile says quickly, her arm still around me as if she's going to be my shield if the wall blows. "Look, I know this system. Just let me handle this. They have no case against Caitlin. Honey, please. Stand down."

After a moment of silence, Frost says, "This isn't fair. You shouldn't have to go through this."

"Neither should you, okay." Caitlin says. "When Kramer looks at you, all she sees are the mistakes you've made. She doesn't see how much pain you've gone through, or how much you've grown because of it. You're a good person, Frost, and, human or meta-human, you deserve the chance to prove it."

"Human." Frost realizes. "That's it. Thanks, Caity."

"Thanks for what?" Caitlin asks

"I figured out who framed us." Frost says. "Now I'm gonna go figure out why."

"No, Frost!" Caitlin yells but it's no use because Frost had already hung up

Cecile sighs before her phone buzzes again. She looks down, hoping it's Frost but it's not. She looks at me. "Your dad's on his way."