Chapter 4: New Friend

A/N: Okay, before we get into this chapter, I wanna lay out the story line. You can scroll until you reach the normal text if you don't care.

This story will have 13 days (14 if you include Chapter 0, 15 if you count 3.5.), spent last night putting out plot points. Chapters 0-1 were like an introduction, 2-6 shall be a friendship arc, 7 will be the day of the party, 8-12 will be the more 😳 bits (no NSFW, Cashier is confirmed to be a minor), and 13 will be the aftermath.

Cashier WILL have a name, don't worry, I just plan on revealing it later in the story to match with the slowburn. Got it? Cool, let's get to it. >:D

I woke up the next morning, feeling famished. Makes sense considering I went to sleep hungry last night.

I go to the kitchen, and notice my dad making breakfast with the groceries I bought. This should be enough for now. "Hey, Y/N. Did you sneak out last night? I noticed we have a lot more groceries than we had last night." I begrudgingly tell the truth, and he scoffs at me. "Let me guess, it was an excuse to see that Cashier guy, wasn't it? Well, we have enough food for this week, so you don't need to go out for errands unless I tell you to."

I'm sort of glad, but this does make things harder. Kind of weird to go to a store just to talk to some guy, isn't it? "If you really want to talk to that guy, go for it, but you can always just wait for his break, you know." He's right. Actually, is he? I've never seen the guy on break, does he even get breaks? From what I know already, he never even chose to work there to begin with.

"You're right, thanks Dad. Erm, anyways, where's Mom?" He facepalms and gives me a look. "I told you during the car ride here, but you were just daydreaming like always. Your mother is on a business trip, leaving me to look after you alone. " Ah, right. "I hope she's doing well out there." His angry expression turns solemn. "So do I, Y/N. So do I." I quickly finish up my breakfast, wash my plate and head to get ready for the day.

"Stay safe out there!" he exclaims from the other room. "I will, thank you!" I put on my usual outfit and head outside.

Birds are chirping, flowers are blooming, good day today. On days like these, people like me... should be going to the local convenience store to talk to a soon-to-be friend! While walking, I notice an out of order vending machine. Huh, interesting. Seems to need 8 soda cans to work. I'll have to keep that in mind.

I enter the store, and Cashier doesn't appear to be at the register today either. I look around, and notice him restocking a shelf. "Hey, Y/N. Last night was interesting, wasn't it?" I give him a small smile and nod. I made quite the fool of myself last night, that's for sure. Couldn't even get a sentence out without shaking. Well, no point in dwelling in the past, time to tighten bonds!

"So, do you need help with the shelves?" He lifts his gaze to meet mine. "You sure? I mean, you helped yesterday, sure, but today as well? What, you don't have any ulterior motives, do you?" He may just be teasing, but I question him almost immediately. "What do you mean? There's no harm in helping, right? Not like there's anything else to do anyways." He raises an eyebrow at me, but shrugs it off.

"Well, if you're that sure, you can just get some things from the freezer and stock them where the labels are." My grin widens as I quickly get to the freezer. There really wasn't much to grab besides canned goods and soda, as you'd except from a freezer.

Timeskip.

Day quickly turned to night as we restocked the entire store. I've never seen the shelves this full in quite a while, which isn't really saying much because of how long I've been here. However, it certainly was saying something for Cashier.

Despite his neutral expression, I noticed a gleam in his eyes, as if he was mesmerized with what stood in front of him. He turns to me and flashes a small smile. "Thanks for helping with that, Y/N. I truly appreciate it." I swear, his smile is contagious.

Since it was late, I needed to head home, I'm sure my dad would wonder why I've been. So, I said goodbye, and turned to leave. Cashier spoke as I was heading out the door.

"See you around, friend."