Chapter 6: The Question

A/N: Okay, I know I'm putting out a lot of A/Ns, but thank you to the engaged reader I have + all of you who have continued to make it this far in this story. I wasn't sure how this story would perform, considering I haven't written fanfiction in a long time, so I truly appreciate you sticking around. :D Love y'all.

I woke up today in a hurry.

Like I remembered yesterday, tomorrow is the day of the stargazing party, and I've yet to ask Cashier to come with me. Stupid me, but it's alright. We've spent the last few days bonding, I'm sure that'll make him more likely to say yes, right?

I rush into the living room, when Dad stops me. "Hey, hey! What's with all that running?" He glares at me as I'm stuck in my tracks. "Ohohoho, off to see that Cashier boy again, aren't you? Bet your forgetful self forgot to ask him to that stargazing thing, eh?" My cheeks flush. I love my dad despite how he treats me, but one thing I don't like is how well he knows me.

"Argh, yes. You see through me so well, Dad." I roll my eyes at him, to which he sneers. "Why am I not surprised?" He mocks, but it's alright, because right after he lets me go. "Make sure you have breakfast first, though. You've been forgetting recently, wouldn't be surprised if your ass is starving." As if on cue, my stomach grumbles. Once again, he knows me too well.

Timeskip.

After breakfast, I bust open the door and run to the store. There really isn't any hurry, he's always there besides yesterdays incident, but the earlier the better. I find my heart racing by the time I get to the front door. However, from the looks of it, Cashier was napping at the register. Good for him, honestly. I doubt he gets much sleep.

The more I think about it, the more I realize the issue. If he's napping, it means I can't ask him right now, and it's not like I have his number so I can just text him when he's awake. So, I walked into the store to look for something to do. Unfortunately, but also a good thing, there's no messes to clean up or anything of the like.

Not wanting to be alone in a store with one sleeping person, I head out of the door. I must've opened it too loud, because a voice startles me from behind. "Y/N?" Cashier groggily lifts his head. "Is that you?" I immediately try to get him to go back to sleep. "Oh nonono, it's alright. Go back to sleep. I was just about to come back later, don't worry." I stammer the words out, hoping he's not mad at me for waking him up. He chuckles and props his head up with his arm.

"It's alright, shouldn't be sleeping on the job anyways. My break is soon, I can just sleep then. How are ya?" Despite how sleepy he sounds, he gives me a small smile, which is contagious enough for me to start smiling too. I kneel and put my arms down on at the register to meet him at eye level. We're a bit close, but it's alright.

For some reason, his face seems to be a bit red. Maybe it's just something I haven't noticed. I've never really analyzed his face to that extent, that'd be weird. I scoot a bit backwards to put a bit more space between us. "I'm doing quite well, basically just woke up, like you. Did you sleep well?" His smile slightly widens. Must've been the right choice to give him more space. Spoiler; lmao no that's not why he's smiling. "Yeah, actually. I've been a bit insomniac, so it was nice to finally get some rest." I know he said not to worry, but now I feel a bit worse about waking him up.

Ah, right! Before this conversation can escalate any further and I forget, I pop the question. "Ah, do you want to come with me to Pats stargazing party? I know you should be getting more rest, but this could also be a good break for you." His eyes light up, and he must've realized the happiness shown in his face, as he drops it back to a neutral expression. "Sure! Wait, no I mean no, I mean I can't." He gets the words out quickly, and shifts his gaze away from me. My smile fades to a slight frown.

"What do you mean, you can't? What's stopping you?" He turns to a timer to his left, and motions for me to do the same. 'Time left until Break; 102362'. The timer continues to tick, and he sighs. "Luckily for me, the break is indefinite. Unluckily for me, I still need to wait until then." I pull out my phone to do the math. "28 hours?!" I exclaim, a little louder than I wanted to.

He sighs. "Yeah, not to mention that I need to get rest once I actually get the break." I do the math in my head. Right now, it's 9:30 am. 28 hours after should be... maybe 1:30 pm the next day? I check the time on the flyer, we need to be there by 8 pm. "Hey, Cashier?" I look in his direction, only to realize he's been watching me the entire time. I must've really been zoned out. "What's up, Y/N? You seem lost in thought."

I laugh to myself in an attempt to hide my shame. "How long are your naps usually?" He zones out for a moment, I assume to calculate the time for himself. "Maybe like... 6 hours? Why do you ask?" Is that even a nap at that point? Sounds like he just falls asleep sometimes, which is to be expected considering it'll take a whole fucking day for him to get his break. This is perfect, though. Depending on the location, it seems like it'll only be a 15 minute drive to get there. "Then you can come! Gr-" I stop myself mid sentence as my smile drops.

I don't have a drivers license. How are we going to go? I tell him about the situation, and I've never seen him laugh this hard. "Y/N, ahahahaha." He takes a while to contain his laughter. "My car is literally at the front of the store, and my car keys are right next to me. What makes you think that'll be an issue?" I feel my face flush. Of course, that's a stupid thing to be worried about. As I continue to beat myself up mentally, he speaks again. "Aha, don't worry. Everyone has those moments sometimes. Just yesterday I asked Dummy how he knows where I am at all times, as we were in front of the monitors in their control room. Hah, anyways, got a specific time we can meet up and go?" I blink. Monitors? Control room?

As much as I'd love to ask what he's talking about, I feel like I'd be questioning my existence more by the end of it. "Does 7:45 pm work for you?" I try to shake the thoughts from my head about it, I'm sure I'll get an explanation one day, and if I don't, perhaps that's for the best. He nods, and pulls out a calendar to mark the time down.

"Looking forward to it."

Timeskip.

After a bit more of conversation, the sky turned dark and misty. It's about time that I head home. I bid my adieus to Cashier and make my way back, feeling droplets of rain on my clothes and skin as I step. I REALLY should start bringing umbrellas.

Once I get home, I fill my dad in on what happened earlier during dinner. He seems to approve of the situation, which is good for us. "So, Y/N, when were you going to tell me you've started dating?" I almost choke, and he cackles. "I'm kidding, of course. I'm glad you're making friends, that's one thing you're doing right." I stare at him for a few seconds, then continue the conversation.

Timeskip.

Well then, me! I'd consider this day a success! I smile to myself as I prepare for bed. That's one thing to look forward to tomorrow. However, that's tomorrow. Best to get some rest before now. I make sure to keep some water and a snack next to my bed, just in case I wake up at a late hour. No need for an unwanted adventure.

I slept to the noise of the TV that night, excited for whats to come.

1438 WORDS!! WOOOOOOOOOO!