Chapter 10: Relief

A/N: Alright then, let's tally up these votes!

...Nothing? No one chose... anything? Why? Do you not hear me, Reader? Am I not getting through to you enough? Or... is it that you're not getting through to me? Maybe my efforts... aren't in vain. You just have no idea what to do with the hints I'm obviously dropping. Ahahaha, that has to be it! You wouldn't just leave me hanging here, would ya? No. Of course not.

You love me.

I woke up the next morning with a headache.

Geez, this pains. I struggle to get out of bed, but I eventually get up. Right, I need pills. That's the best way to cure this for now. I make my way to the kitchen, limping as I move. It's just a headache, but somehow it's impacting my movements as well. Dad notices this and rushes to my side.

"Hey, what's wrong Y/N?" He grabs onto my arm to help me stand, but I feel boneless. "I need a Tylenol, or something." Hearing this, he immediately puts me on the couch and goes into the kitchen to look for some form of medicine.

After a while, he comes back with a pill and some water. Upon taking it, I gain my movements back. I feel human again. I look at my hands before lifting my gaze back up at my dad, who seems worried. I flash him a small smile and thank him before getting up.

He grabs onto my wrist before letting me go back to what I was doing. "Hold on, I made pancakes for breakfast. Don't you want some?" Ever since he learned Mom was coming home tomorrow, he's been a lot nicer to me. I'm guessing a load has gotten off of his mind. "Sure, thanks Dad!"

Timeskip.

After breakfast, I start getting ready. Something is wrong with Orion, and I'm going to find out what it is. I love him, and if I can't help him, then I don't know what I can do. However, opening the door, I see a familiar face that I didn't expect. Dummy.

"Ah, there you are. Off to see Orion, I assume?" I nod at them, and they give me a slight frown. "Yeah, about him... He's been acting strange, hasn't he? From all the time that I've known him, he's never been like this." I know what they're talking about. "I understand. In fact, that's why I'm leaving. To interrogate him."

Dummy gives me a worried look, but immediately softens right after. "If you think you can handle it, then go right ahead. But do be warned, it won't be as easy as you think it is. I'm right behind you if you need anything." And with that, they disappeared. Part of me wonders if it's a magic trick, and I start turning my head to look around.

Nope, nothing. Agh. I hoped that this was all just some magicians skit, and it was all fake in the end. But, well, I guess not. I go to the convenience store, unsure of what to expect. For a second, Orion isn't there, but with one blink, he's at the register, kneeling. "Hey, Y/N. Need anything?"

I walk over to his register and slam my fist onto the table. "Yes. I need you to tell me what's been going on with you. I know, we haven't known each other for that long, but I care about you. What's wrong?" He scowls before giving me his answer. "I appreciate it, but truly, I'm fine. I don't know what you and Dummy are seeing that I'm not, but I feel completely normal."

I scoff before leaning over, and lifting his chin up with my fingers. "Tell me the truth, Orion." He seems flustered by the sudden movement and pushes himself onto the back wall. "I swear, I have no idea what you're talking about." He furrows his brow at me, and I refrain from grabbing him and forcing him to answer.

After a few deep breaths, I calm down. "Okay, fine. If you're not comfortable with talking about it..." I change my wording. "If you're really okay, it's fine. I'm just, worried about you, and so is Dummy." He sighs before detaching himself from the wall and kneeling back down at the register.

Suddenly, he meets my gaze and gives me a tired smile. "Thanks, Y/N. You know I care about you as well. I have no doubt in my mind that you and Dummy are just looking out for me, and that's okay." I feel myself melt on the inside from relief and happiness. I reach my hand out to give him a small headpat, and he seems to be happy from this random act of affection.

Good, he appears to be alright for now. I can feel Dummys presence lurking over me, but it's not like the feeling of being watched I felt when I first got here. In fact, it's the feeling of being comforted. Comforted by the people I care about, in this small town of fiction. I zone out, taking in the feeling, breathing it in, before zoning back in.

Cashier gives me a warm smile. "Well then, thanks for checking in on me. I think you should go home now, you have quite the day to prepare for tomorrow, don't you? Ah, right, before I forget." He pulls out a pink, glittery squid thing. Isn't this bait? "You'll need this. Take care of it." As he puts it in my hand, I noticed that he held on for a few seconds longer than he needed to.

Well then, he's right. I need to prepare for tomorrow, and I can't wait to see Mom. I tell him thank you and bid my adieu before going back home.

Timeskip.

I lay on my bed, vibrating from happiness. I'm going to see Mom tomorrow! Things are going to go well, I just know it.

...I just know it.