Chapter 6

Chapter 6 Covenant of the Blood

In his sixth year, there was a Duelling club for NEWT students started by his then DADA teacher.

The sixth and seventh years had been excited by the prospect and readily signed themselves up.

Sirius knew a fair amount of hexes and jinxes and was quite confident in his ability.

After some practicing, their Professor Dearborn had paired them up for a one-on-one duel.

Sirius was up against a Ravenclaw of his own year.

They had duelled for a about three minutes, wands slashing the air like swords, spells thrown around.

Sirius revelled in the opportunity to duel and won fairly easily, which wasn't the same for his classmates.

Most of the winners in each pair were Slytherins and it was well-known that the Slytherins in their year and the one above were quite adept at curses.

Dearborn then decided to divide all the winners into two teams, which efficiently pitted six Slytherins against the other consisting of a medley of students from the other three houses, which included himself and James.

The duel began and it was quite a spectacular display of skill by sixteen and seventeen year olds in Professor Dearborn's opinion.

Five minutes in, the duelling became nastier with taunts and jeers from the Slytherins riling them up.

When Mulciber had used a painful curse on Fabian that caused him to bleed heavily from a deep gash, the duelling became so violent that after two minutes Dearborn had to cast body-binds on most of them to stop their fighting.

"-such a disgraceful show of muggle duelling! Whoever taught you to use your fists, Black? Mulciber's jaw is broken!"

Sirius was surprised by that comment.

He had not even realized he had resorted to muggle duelling.

Who indeed?

□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■

Sirius' last few years in Hogwarts were all a bit of a blur.

Sure, his parents yelled at him and outright shunned him.

Sure, his brother had grown distant from him, with his sickening loyalty to his parents and their supremacist ideals.

Sure, there was a war going on outside and a Dark lord was rising.

But, Sirius could not deny that he loved his life and his friends even more so.

They were popular, clever and much liked by the students of Hogwarts.

He thrived under the attention that he never got in his own home anymore.

His sixth year was the turning point in his life.

He had nearly gotten a student killed and Remus expelled.

Sure, he felt Snivellus deserved it in the first place for always trying to get them expelled, but his conscience knew he had taken it too far.

And so did his friends, apparently.

The summer after his sixth year was the bleakest he had ever been with James and Remus sorely disappointed in him.

He was disappointed in himself.

And then, the worst happened as the situation in his home escalated so much that he had to run away.

Even as he knew James was angry at him, he had nowhere to go but to his friend's.

James and his parents had taken him in without any hesitation, all bitterness forgotten.

And after tentative apologies, his other friends too had stuck with him and his joy knew no bounds.

They had forgiven him and accepted him.

He had a family after all.

○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○

This story doesn't belong to me. Credits to the respective author.

A/N: The title comes from the proverb 'The covenant of the blood is thicker than the water of the womb.'

This is actually the origination of the modern version of the proverb with its reversed message, 'Blood is thicker than water.'