Chapter 8

Chapter 8- Breath of Courage

His world had ended on October 31st.

The two people, who were like a brother and sister to him, who always gave him a sense of familiarity and comfort were gone forever.

Sirius had wanted nothing more than to die and join them wherever they were now, but he had Harry, his precious godson to think of.

That dirty rat had been the betrayer.

He had suspected Remus for no reason than a stupid gut feeling.

He vowed to finish off that rat and had set off.

In a turn of events that still seemed unbelievable even now, Sirius found himself locked away in the maximum-security cell in Azkaban for good.

Where had everything gone wrong?

The Dementors' presence sucked every happy memory out of him, every desire to live and he was yearning for the end to near.

It would be a miracle if he survived even a year with his sanity intact.

Months passed and he had lost all sense of reality and dreams.

Some days, he thought he could hear a deep voice enveloping him, whispering words of comfort.

He clung to it, like a man dying of thirst.

Years went by, the darkest period in his life, filled with nothing but guilt, regret and utter hopelessness.

When things felt too dire sometimes, Sirius thought he could feel a warm breath of air dousing him with hope and courage willing him to stay strong.

It was his only solace in the cold, dark prison.