Chapter 5

Having dinner with Loki slowly turns into a habit, and we often sit on either side of the glass wall separating us and eat in peace. The interrogations are less serious and develop further and further into private conversations.

I often find myself forgetting the time in the presence of the dark-haired god. However, he does not reveal much about himself. He has not yet revealed his motives for the attack on New York to me and I am as far away from uncovering them as I was when I first sat down on the chair in front of his cell.

It had been clear to me from the beginning that I was not looking at an evil man, a fact that is becoming increasingly obvious to me the more I spend time with him.

Sure, Loki is still the megalomaniac, cocky dude who still hasn't forgiven his brother for keeping him from taking over earth, but there's something else about him I cannot quite put my finger on.

Something that makes me question the nature of his intentions. Were they really bad intentions? Did he really try to take over earth to only rule and bring suffering and destruction over us humans?

I don't know why, but I start to doubt that. There has to be more. Loki still refuses to talk about it, but the feeling that he didn't do this just for fun gets stronger every time I talk to him.

"Y/n?" Tony's face comes into my sight, and I almost drop my toast. He has a mug in his hand, and judging by the very interesting hairstyle he is wearing, he has just woken up. Giggling, I smooth back the nest on his head.

"Ey!" He slaps my hand away and tries to fix his hair, but it's to no avail. It only gets worse. "You wanted to tell me something, Tony." "Right. Um, you know about this Hydra base we detected?"

I give him a thumbs up while nibbling on my toast. He nods and sits down next to me. "Good." Before he continues, he takes a sip from his mug and sets it back down, creating a dull sound that fills the silence. "We are planning to- Stop that!"

He's now desperately trying to fight off Pepper, who just appeared behind Tony and is now sizzling through his dark hair to try and make it look less messy. But just as Tony did with my hands only seconds ago, Pepper now slaps his hand away.

"We are planning to use the element of surprise to our advantage and-" Stopping midway through the sentence, he tries to waggle away from Pepper. "I'm trying to work!" He whined. Laughing, Pepper finally steps away. "You should take a look in the mirror, love." At this point, I can't help but giggle.

After blowing the blonde woman a kiss, be turns back to me. "Where was I?" "You said something about -" "Don't interrupt me. Well, we're leaving tomorrow after lunch to light some nice fireworks."

My face lights up. Tony did t mention I couldn't come with them. Noticing my lit-up face, he quickly turns me down. "You can stay here and watch over Rudolph." My face falls.

"Don't call him that." He raises one of his eyebrows but decides not to comment anything on that. "Fine." I'm aware of the fact that I sound pissed, but that's what I am. Absolutely pissed.

Every time things get a little interesting, I am to stay home. "Y/n, I'm sorry, but we don't need a scared half-squirrel-thing accidentally causing the alarm to go off." He apologizes. I know he's right.

His mug once again creates a dull sound as he sets it down on the table to give me a quick hug. "We'll figure this crazy stuff out. You got there, and then you can help us kick Hydra's ass."

"No." My smile returns. "You can help me kick Hydra's ass." "Alright. Just figure out how to properly change shape first." The relief about me not really being mad at him is clearly visible on his face and makes me chuckle.