Chapter 11

"You are Caden?" My ears start ringing and my head starts spinning at his words. "Yup." He answers. "Like the Caden that put the note in my pocket?" I nervously shift on my chair. Carefully, I let a hand wander into my pocket to make sure my knife is still where it belongs. I don't leave the house without it. When my fingers wrap around the smooth handle, relief floods me. "I left the note there because I have no other options." He tells me. "We really need your help."

"Hold on a second!" I interfere. "Who is 'we'?" Glancing around I make sure no other men are lurking around, but there's no one. Well, at least I don't see anyone. Instead of answering, he hurriedly looks around before taking my unused napkin and taking a pen from his jacket. When I open my mouth to ask why he won't answer, he only places a finger on his lips. Hurriedly he scribbles on the napkin, his handwriting barely readable from how fast he writes.

'Mind your words, they hear everything' I watch as the words appear on the white material of the napkin. Instead of giving me answers, he only gives me more unsolved mysteries. 'It's the implant.' He writes and points to his back. My eyes widen. Does that mean, he... 'Aiden.' He writes and I scrunch my nose in disgust. "You too?" I mouth and when he gives me a nod, I sigh.

Caden starts scribbling on the napkin again and I move a little forward to get a better view. While watching him write whatever he has to say, I start wondering about him. Somehow he seems familiar, but I can't remember where I could know him from. He's muscular, his face looks fierce and he has some pretty bad-looing scars on his arms as if he'd been in a fight and got struck by a knife. But deep within his eyes, I can see a spark of emotion. Hope, I think. And desperation.

I find it difficult to estimate him. He looks like he's been through a lot and he also doesn't seem very innocent at all, but his eyes are kind and I cannot sense bad intentions in his mind. There's still something that makes me stay alert. It's not something that comes from his mind and it isn't his look or the way he just contacted me, it's a feeling I have that I cannot get rid of. I don't know what it is.

A light touch on my arm makes me snap back to reality. Caden is done writing and hands me the napkin, waiting patiently for me to decipher his wobbly writing. 'The implant isn't just a pain trigger. It's a tracker. I can jam the signal for a short time, but it won't be a pleasant feeling. Do you consent?' Giving him my approval with a small nod, I lean back and watch him taking his Laptop out of his backpack.

He furiously types on the keyboards and after a few seconds looks at me. "Ready?" He whispers and I shut my eyes closed before nodding. I hear him breathe in, holding his breath for a few seconds before he exhales and slams the enter button on the keyboard of his laptop.

The feeling is strange. It feels like a heartbeat, pulsing a little too fast right above my spine, where the implant is. I shiver. It does not hurt, but as he told me, it was definitely an unpleasant sensation. "Y/n." I stare at him. How does he know my name? "Who are you?" I demand. "Why do you know my name, and for heaven's sake, how did you get that fricking note into my pocket!" "Hey." He raises his hands as if to surrender. "I'll answer your questions, but it's important that you also listen to what I have to say."

"What do you want then?" He sighs. "As I told you, I need your help. I need you to defuse the bomb." And again I'm speechless. "How do you-" "How I know about the bomb?" He interrupts me. "I built it."

He did what?! "I used to be Aiden's best friend, or so I thought. He convinced me of his intentions, implanted me with a chip, and got me to work for him. I totally believed in everything we did. That was until he endangered someone I treasure dearly. But he holds a great amount of power over me. At his demand, I built the bomb. I was the one who gave it to you and at the opportunity, I slipped the note into your pocket."