Chapter 2

I am surprised. No, surprise is probably an understatement. I am completely and utterly shocked. Loki, if Tony is talking about the Loki I'm thinking of, and I know only one person by that name, has been sitting in a maximum-security cell for about three months now. Very little has ever been said in my presence about the god of mischief and the success of his interrogations, but I had always assumed that everything was going well.

"Well?" Tony's expectant eyes spread the uncomfortable feeling of unease inside me. What am I supposed to accomplish? After all, I'm not even trained to interrogate mass murderers and I certainly don't have the qualifications to do so. If even the Avengers couldn't get much out of him, what good am I supposed to do? "Tony, I've never interrogated anyone. What if he tricks me?"

"Y/n, listen to me. Loki is sitting in a cell. He is surrounded by a barrier that shields his magic. He can neither manipulate your thoughts nor can he physically harm you in any other way. The only thing he can do, and he will try to do, is to manipulate you with words. He will question things and twist facts to confuse you."

As he speaks, I watch his features grow more serious. I notice the dark circles under his eyes and the tired expression that is barely noticeable on his face but still there. "You know what? Think of this whole thing as less of an interrogation. You just go in there and talk to him. Chat about trivial stuff and keep an eye on his mind while you're doing so. Maybe you'll notice something or whatever."

Tony slumps back in his chair and runs his hand through his dark hair. Despair, fatigue, and resignation surround him like waves and make the seriousness of this matter clear to me. "We need something to work with." He adds before reaching for a glass and taking a big gulp of water before standing up, petting my shoulder, and reaching for the door. "And so far, we have nothing. After three months! Think about it, please." With these words, he disappears.

To be honest, I don't need to think about it. I'm tired of the very small missions they take me every few months. There's nothing to do for me, and I feel quite useless. Finally, there is something I can do, a task, something they actually need me for. Nothing to just occupy me. Fresh energy rushes through my veins, and I almost jump from that chair to run after the billionaire.

"Tony!" I yell, and he stops in his tracks, turning around to meet me with a smug grin on his face. Cocky idiot. He knows I can't refuse something like this. "I'm doing it. When do I start?" He reaches into a pocket of his pants and hands me a small device. After taking a look at the display, I punch his arm. "Tony, you... you...!" I punch him again, and he backs away, raising his hands in an attempt to calm me.

"You planned all this! Did I even have a choice??" The next punch is a little harder, and his suit suddenly builds up around him. "Get out of that tin can! It's unfair." I huff and take a step back. "It's not a tin can!" He sounds so offended that I can't help myself and start to chuckle. "And you surely had a choice. I just knew you would agree, so I wasted no time."

The amusement radiating off him is contagious, and I feel my face contort into a grin before I can do anything against it. His eyes sparkling with joy as he realizes he has won is just adorable. The little wrinkles that build around his eyes while he's slightly chuckling about the situation and my bewilderment brighten my mood. I take another look at the small display.

It has some files open, and I quickly scroll through them, finding rules, permissions, instructions, and most importantly, a small file about the one and only Loki Laufeyson. "Twenty minutes." Puzzled I look up to meet Tony's gaze again. The wrinkles around his eyes are gone, replaced with something more serious. "What?"Your first session starts in 20 minutes."

I inhale sharply, creating a whistling sound as the air gets sucked between my teeth. That was... unexpected. "Get ready and read the document about Loki and the instructions. The rules were being put in there by Fury. I don't know why he did that. He should know that I have some issues following rules. They're so... fun-blocking." I raise my eyebrows at him, and he smirks, ushering me away.