016.

U AND I.
( CHAPTER SIXTEEN ! )
SEEPING PAIN.

'  𝐒𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐀𝐘, 𝐍𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟐, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟐

𝐒𝐔𝐍𝐃𝐀𝐘, 𝐍𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟐, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟐.  '
the swings' residence ━━━ teaneck, new jersey !

   "LET'S MAKE A DEAL, sugar, all i want to do is be your one and only lover. I just want to be your lover girl. I just wanna rock your world." Teena Marie's Lovergirl played loudly in Milani and DeVanté's residence, Milani humming along to the R&B/Soul record as she packed her luggage to fly to Los Angeles within the next two hours.

Ever since Milani and DeVanté moved in together, DeVanté got more in the groove of Teena's music. He heard her name and a couple songs many times before on the radio, at parties, or even seen her preform one time and hadn't noticed it. He liked it, he loved how soulful her voice sounded, even though she wasn't the race of black, she sounded like it, and made it sound beautiful.

For Milani, she practically grew up listening to Teena Marie from her mother, who'd play her everytime they were in the car, cleaning, cooking, or even just relaxing within one another. She was big inspiration for her since the age of seven, she hoped to be able to meet her during some point in her life.

Milani walked downstairs to gather more things for her trip when she heard the doorbell ring. The dogs began to run everywhere, their nails scratching against the wooden floor which reminded Milani that she needed to make a nail trim appointment with the veterinarian office since she and DeVanté didn't feel comfortable with doing it themselves.

"Good afternoon, Ms. Haynes, we have mail for you." The mail lady spoke, plastering a smile on her face as she handed the stack of mail in Milani's hand. "Thank you, you too." She said before she closed the door, the dogs continuing to go crazy — just doing what they were meant to do.

"Ace, calm down! Nobody's there." She called out, walking over to the marble kitchen counter as she scanned through the mail. Ace, one of the puppies, continued to run around before he couldn't catch himself and fell, however, he didn't hit his head due to the cone that was wrapped around his neck. Got his ears clipped? Yes, and Milani didn't know how to feel about it either.

Milani scanned through the stack of mail, placing the ones that had billing on them on the counter. That was until one caught her eye in particular.

For DeVanté — From, Vanessa.
Hampton, Virginia.

She scrunched her face up the slightest, she opened it the tab before seeing as there was note. She didn't read it nor take it out of the envelope, since she declared it as invasion of his privacy, and she jogged up the stairs to their bedroom where was.