Tug-of-War for itty-bitty Billy

"It's pay day!"

Billy zipped out of his rented studio apartment, stopped by the landlord's home with the month's rent, then off to the supermarket for his monthly routine.

A third of his pay went to the rent.

Once a street rat, he could never forget what it was like to go days without food.

So with Cap taking care of all his transport, himself being very careful with his own personal expenses eating as little as he could get away with, he could use half of what's left to do the really fun stuff!

The tiny boy navigated a trolley taller than himself down the aisles, loading it with lots of canned meat, vegetables, beans, fruit, some desserts, snacks, piles of instant noodles, rice and the occasional heavily marked down toys, carefully counting the spend to make the most of his special monthly budget.

"Here Miss Stone," Billy tip toed to pay the cashier.

The sunny brunette ruffled the little boy's hair, "what do you do with all this every month?"

Billy grinned up at her, practically bursting with joy. "Fun stuff!"

He lugged bag after bag of groceries out of sight. When he was sure no one could see him, he whispered,"Shazam."

Lightning struck the tiny boy transforming him into Captain Marvel. Loading all the groceries on a large wooden platform, the Captain flew the entire platform to the abandoned building Billy used to live in. It still housed dozens of homeless folks who often went hungry.

"Hey Cap!" Jerry led his group of lost boys ranging from six year old Bobby to fifteen year old Sammy to the big man.

Candy, Ellie, Mr and Mrs Smith the elderly couple who lived in the room beside Billy's old hideout came out to greet him.

"Hi everyone!" Beaming from ear to ear, Captain Marvel distributed the food to Billy's old neighbours.

"Where's Tim?" Captain scanned through the crowd that gathered around him. A three year old boy smack in the middle of the crowd bounced up and down yelling, "Here!"

"Happy birthday buddy!" Captain Marvel handed the toy truck to the child and ruffled the boy's hair.

It was his favourite activity every month. Knowing his job fed not only himself, but put food in his friends' stomachs made his job at Whiz one of the best things that ever happened to Billy.

"Bill, can you come over to my apartment?" Clark sounded troubled over the communicator.

"Be there in a..," Cap had just finished here.

"...second," Captain Marvel slipped through the window of Apt 3B, 344 Clinton Street, changing to little Billy Batson upon arrival.