Chapter 5

Chapter 5

"Run!" she yowled to Amberclaw.

Her sister heard her immediately and dashed towards her. Blue and Ruthless let out matching cries of rage as they escaped. But Dark just stood there, watching, amusement in his gaze.

"Chase!" Ruthless cried.

The thundering of pawsteps made Ravenflight run for her life. The rogue army was chasing them.

If it wasn't so serious, Ravenflight would've laughed. But Ebonywind was probably dying. She didn't trust the StarClan cats. They are ShadowClan, for StarClan's sake- oh. Whatever. She and Amberclaw were about to be killed by Ruthless and Blue, and Dark really was back. Even though she had been begging Autumn to believe her, there had been a small part of her that had wished that he wasn't back. Who wouldn't?

"We need to go," Amberclaw panted as they raced through the woods.

"Yes, genius," Worry made Ravenflight curt. "Obviously we need to go! What a mouse-brain."

"We don't know these woods," Amberclaw added. "We don't know where to go."

"Just run!" Ravenflight gasped upon seeing a paw thrust its way through the trees. "They're coming! We need to get out of here!"

"Get them!" This time, the familiar voice started to bother Ravenflight. She knew she had heard this voice that same day. But who was it?

No time to waste, she reminded herself. Not the time to think about this mysterious familiar voice. She leapt forwards, bunching her muscles. And ran.

Amberclaw was right behind her and they sprinted a few circles to confuse the rogues. Then, finally, they raced into the camp.

When Ravenflight headed to her nest, she realized that Ebonywind was also back in her nest. Her eyes were open and wide.

"Ebonywind! You're okay!" Amberclaw nuzzled her.

"I'm fine," Ebonywind struggled free. "Guys, am I hallucinating, or did I see Dark?"

"I saw Dark," Ravenflight confirmed.

"Oh StarClan," Ebonywind breathed. "We need to tell Autumn."

"Tomorrow morning, please," Amberclaw yawned. "I'm...so...tired!"

With that, all three of them fell asleep, lying together in a pile.

The next morning, Ravenflight stormed up to Autumn's den. Her wounds stung and Autumn gasped as she took in the state of the three of them.

"Believe us now?" Ebonywind demanded, gesturing to their wounds.

"I don't," Autumn replied. "You probably faked them."

"How mouse-brained can you get?" Amberclaw exploded.

Ravenflight was more calm. "We saw Dark last night."

"You saw what?" Autumn's eyes were full of disbelief. "Stop lying. It's not funny."

"You fox-hearted fool!" Amberclaw growled, unsheathing her claws. Ravenflight nudged her, subtly reminding her that she couldn't attack Autumn.

"We really did see Dark. Then, we fought him. I was unconscious!" Ebonywind insisted.

"I'm sorry, but I don't believe you. Dark is dead." Autumn was firm. "And why were you out again?"

"You told us to..." Ravenflight replied. "You said 'give me some real proof next time'. That meant that you wanted us to go again."

"Ugh, fine, you figured me out. But I didn't expect this. I need proof. Not wounds." Autumn mewed sternly. "But when I say proof, I don't want you throwing yourselves into danger!"

"I-" Amberclaw spluttered. "Now we're wrong?"

"Yes!" Autumn retorted. "Idiots," she muttered under her breath.

"You're just an arrogant furball," Amberclaw retaliated. "You don't want to be proven wrong. But we will! I'll prove you wrong if it's the last thing I do. I hate you, Autumn!"

Amberclaw charged out of the den, her fur bristling. Ravenflight followed, glaring at Autumn. Finally, Ebonywind limped after them.

"I hate her!" Amberclaw burst out once they were in private. "She's such an annoying, egoistical, proud piece of fox-dung."

"Seems to me that you're describing yourself," Ebonywind smirked.

"Shut up!" Amberclaw snapped. "I'm serious." She added.

"Me too," Ravenflight dipped her head. "Autumn won't believe us. We have to tell the other Clan cats. They'll believe us when they see our wounds."

——

"I don't believe you," Rustfern jutted out his chin.

Amberclaw rolled her eyes at Ravenflight. "I told you so," she hissed.

"Please believe us," Ebonywind implored. "We didn't get these wounds by fighting each other. We fought rogues! Ruthless, Blue, and more. Please! The Dynasty isn't safe. We need to go back to the Clans!" Ravenflight glanced at Ebonywind suspiciously. Ebonywind had been acting strange lately. What was she up to?

"I believe you," Dawnmist mewed finally after a long silence.

"Me too," Blackshine was downcast, his ears drooping.

"Alright, fine," Rustfern agreed.

"Johnwatcher? Lilacblaze? Midnightcall?" Ravenflight asked.

"Alright, we believe yeh," Johnwatcher sighed.

"But what can we do?" Midnightcall asked.

"Nothing. We're helpless as prey here." Lilacblaze spat. "We need to go to the Clans like Ebonywind said."

Ebonywind and Lilacblaze shared looks. However, Lilacblaze's was of relief, while Ebonywind's was of sadness. Does she have a friend here? If so, she'll probably miss them if we go home. Is that why she's been acting weird and sad?

Ravenflight cleared her throat. "Alright. We're going back to the Clans. That's decided. The Dynasty won't help us, so we won't help them. It's not selfish, it's smart. Autumn refuses to believe us, so we must take matters into our own paws. We'll go home and forget about everything that ever happened here. "

A small cheer sounded from the cats, but the silence quickly took over. Ravenflight knew what every cat was thinking.

I don't know if we'll even make it back.