Chapter 5

Chapter 5

 (The Roses Dimitri sent--------->)

           Dimitri couldn't hold a thought in his head to save his life. Several days has passed since  he had breakfast on the beach with Caleb and they exchanged numbers and Caleb still hasn't called so far. Maybe Caleb felt that he was not seriously interested. Maybe he unconsciously realized that he was different? Stavos was having a field day laughing at him. He shook it off and tried to hide melancholy mood and swung back to his desk his office chair to the phone. Pressing the intercom, he instructed his secretary to locate Stavos and inform him of his desire to see him immediately. He uncurled his muscular tensed frame from his chair and stalked over to the drink cabinet across the room and opened it. He pressed his palm dead center against the mirror behind the alcohol and a secret panel opened to reveal and cooling compartment filled with bottled blood. He took out two bottles and closed both the panel and cabinet and went back to his desk to wait for his friend.

            It only took a few minutes before Stavos sauntered into his office and sat in the elegant chair facing Dimitri’s equally elegant desk. “You summoned,” he said as he settled himself in and accepted the bottle of blood. He took a moment to savor it deep swallow. Not as good as live warm blood but he had adjusted to the taste and temperature a long time ago.

            “Yes. If I know you, you have someone keeping an eye on Caleb. Is he working today?”  Dimitri asked his friend before taking his own mouthful cold blood.

            “I assigned Marco to watch but not to interact.” He stated not even hiding that fact. Stavos hid his smile though behind the mouth of the bottle and he took another sip. “Yes, he is working today.” He said after lowering the bottle.

            Dimitri felt like sticking out his tongue in a childish manner at his friend’s smug face, but swiveled around to his computer instead. With deft movements his hands flew over the keys and when he was finished he turned back to Stavos.

            “I am so thrilled you find this so amusing.” Dimitri said as he threw the now empty bottle into the garbage by his desk.

            Stavos looked into his friend’s mutinous eyes and sighed. “I do find it funny because you are usually so on track, and seeing this little human man bring you to your knees is funny, but I do not think what you are feeling is funny. I feel that you should just take a chance and not think it over to death. And quit with the what ifs.” Stavos said and rose from the chair. He walked over and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder before leaving the office.

            Dimitri stared at nothing in particular as he contemplated what Stavos. He sighed and went back to work.

            Caleb was busy helping someone when one of the Kelly’s was trying in vain to catch her eye by waving frantically behind the customer. He quickly aided the elderly woman with what she needed and made his way to the food counter. “What is it?” Caleb warily asked her.

            “You need to go back to the lounge and see what was just delivered for you. You are so going to spill whatever it is that is going on.” Kelly number one warned him.

            Curious, Caleb turned and checked with Anne before headed back towards the lounge. He pushed the door opened and the first thing he noticed was the very floral scent permeating the room. He turned his head and looked at the table and saw the most spectacular arrangement of flowers in a beautiful glass vase so big he could wrap both arms around it. Stupefied he walked over and searched for a card. Finding the card among the full blooms of multicolored roses was no easy feat, when he finally found it he read his name on the envelope and opened it with trembling fingers. It simply read, “Are you going to continue to starve me? Dimitri.” He recalled the conversation about having dinner and he melted right there on the spot.