Chapter 3

November, 2019

Lisa is shivering in the night air, the sun having gone down an hour ago as the stars showed up. She could hardly make them out with so many city lights to drown them out. She thinks about retreating to her car, going back home, telling Jennie she just can't make it over, or begging her to come over to her house, but it's too cold for Jennie to walk and since Jennie doesn't have a car, Lisa is stepping up the small steps to her door.

She's just pulling out her key when the door opens, Jennie's friend Nayeon stepping outside from the warmth of Jennie's home that Lisa can feel the moment the door opens. She looks almost shocked to see Lisa standing there, and in a much more real sense, maybe not super happy about it. She never did really like her anyways.

The feeling is mutual. "Lisa, how nice to see you." A lie, a solid lie with a fake smile stretching across her mouth that churns Lisa's stomach in the most unpleasant of ways. But no matter how little interest Lisa had in even acknowledging Nayeon's existence she did anyways because they both had promised Jennie long ago that they would always make an effort to be civil, even when she wasn't around.

"Hi Nayeon." Lisa smiles, but its fake and forced. Lisa thinks it's almost painful to wear on her lips, especially when she has such little interest in pleasantries.

"I was only stopping by for my brother." Nayeon tells her even though she lacks interest completely in Nayeon's whereabouts.

She doesn't like the way the girl is looking at her, but that could just be in her head as well. Socializing with anyone that isn't Jennie tends to do this to her. "Oh?" She pretends to sound curious, but she doesn't really care.

Nayeon's smile is unnatural and Lisa almost wants to ask her why she's even bothering. "He's quite interested in Jennie, and Jennie seems to like him so." She shrugs and Lisa just stares at her a moment, comprehending what she's said to her.

Nayeon's here to hook up Jennie with who? Her brother? She has a brother? Why the hell didn't she know about this before? And what the hell does anything related to Nayeon want to date Jennie for? "Who's your brother again?" Lisa doesn't mean to ask it so bitterly, but it does come out that way.

Nayeon's smirk seems to widen, Lisa doesn't know why. "You know him; you met him last Christmas, at the party Jennie threw at her house." She seems to nod at the house behind her as if that will help refresh Lisa's memory.

It takes Lisa a moment but eventually she is able to place whom Nayeon is talking about. "Oh, the curly hair guy?"

Nayeon claps her hands together with a nod. "That would be him, anyways; I have to be getting to work now. See you later Lisa." She waves, walking past Lisa without another word and the blonde is sure she is happy to get away from her as happy as Lisa is for her to be leaving.

Lisa rolls her eyes when Nayeon can't see her, but offered the girl a wave when she looked back. After the exchange was over, Lisa rushed into the warmth and safety of Jennie's home, shutting the door behind her and locking out the cold along with recent obnoxious pleasantries she has to make with people she doesn't even care about.

Was he nice? Lisa couldn't remember. She had said hello to him, she had shaken his hand, but that's the last thing she remembers of him. She couldn't even remember his name. Something with an H maybe, or was it a T? She pulled her heavy coat off and hung it on the rack on the wall by the door, walking past the entryway into the living room, where Jennie was sat fiddling on her phone, though she looked up and smiled at Lisa when she entered.

"You're going on a date?" Lisa seems to blurt out before she can really think about it. The thought is unsettling, for reasons she isn't quite sure of. Jennie doesn't date very often, she's very picky and particular about that kind of thing and most grow jealous of Lisa after a while so she kind of has the right to be so picky.