Chapter 19

August, 2022

Lisa learned from last time that perhaps when it comes to proposing to Jennie that she should maybe keep it a bit simpler. Not too simple of course because Jennie deserves extravagant and amazing, nothing less, but simple enough that if her plans manage to get stepped on again she won't be out a thousand dollars or something similar to that.

She didn't want to do it in her apartment so she still rented a place out, a nice gazebo in the park and recruited Rosé and Jisoo to help her set it up. She had the plans set up for at least two weeks now, and Jennie knew this was something important at least because she had cleared her schedule the best she could.

Lisa was actually excited, anticipating the moment, Jennie's yes, Jennie's feline eyes when she sees the ring, Jennie's happiness. That's all she wants, is to make her happy, for as long as she possibly can.

Unfortunately, every time Lisa plans something big like this, life seems to want to step on them.

Jennie calls her just as she's readying to leave, with Rosé and Jisoo to watch over the gazebo for her so she can get ready. Jennie telling her she's stuck at the gallery, apologizing a thousand and two times.

Lisa masks her disappointment because she doesn't want Jennie to know what she was about to do, since her plans are set in stone no matter what. If she doesn't do it tonight, she'll do it tomorrow or the next day or the next week but it's happening. Lisa will propose to her because she wants to be with her, forever, and she wants nothing more than to say that. To spill out every last feeling she has always had so Jennie never doubts one second in her mind how in love Lisa is with her. Never again.

She'll never have to wait again.

So maybe she can't propose but she can still go to the restaurant she had made reservations for and get some food to go and surprise Jennie at work with it so she can eat with her during a break she can manage to squeeze in for food. It's that idea that leads her to the window that has her staring in as Jennie is talking to Taehyung for some reason, certainly not at the gallery. It's confusing nonetheless, makes no sense, why would she lie?

Jennie loves her, so she's not jealous, at least not at the moment. But what is she doing here if she was supposed to be stuck at the gallery? There's a cold dark feeling that creeps its way into Lisa's lungs as she stares in the window and she can't stop it. An insecurity, one she's always dealing with and she knows she has to fight it as she watches Jennie laugh at something that boy has said.

Lisa digs her cellphone out of her pocket, pulling up Jennie's contact, looking up at her, watching her laugh, watching her smile. She frowns more, what is she doing here?

She calls her.

***

"Yes, hold on a second." Jennie holds her hand up to Taehyung and checks her cellphone. She knows the ringtone; its Lisa's but she still looks at her name like she didn't immediately know who it was. She doesn't know why she does that, maybe habit, maybe not to seem too obsessive.

She smiles as she answers, heart already racing worse than it ever has before, the same way it has been since Lisa's birthday. "Hey baby, I'll be home soon okay."

She can hear Lisa breathe and for some reason that sets off a warm feeling inside of her chest. "Okay, is it really busy?" Lisa asks and Jennie glances at Taehyung, feeling a little guilty that she's lying, but Lisa can't figure out what she's up to. That would ruin it.

"Not super bad, I can probably get out soon." Taehyung is watching her as he sips his drink. "I'm sorry I had to cancel our date." She mumbles gently, voice soft and sweet as Lisa breathes in her ear. She wishes she was with her, kissing her and holding her right now.