10| AFTERMATH

Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

Aftermath

"NANCY! Nina!" Nina; with her enhanced hearing; could hear Jonathan shouting their names.

"Jonathan!" Nancy screamed; her hand gripping Nina's tightly.

"Jonathan! I'm right here!" Nancy screamed again as Nina led them in the direction of Jonathan's voice.

"Nancy! Nina!" Jonathan yelled again making Nina stop with Nancy beside her; breathing heavily.

"Jonathan! We're right here!" Nina shouted back for the first time; gripping Nancy's hand tightly as she could feel Nancy shaking.

"Where are you!" Nancy screamed again and Jonathan shouted back; "I'm right here! Just follow my voice!"

Nina took off in the direction of his voice again as Nancy look to her left to see the creature again. She let out a yelp before pulling Nina in the opposite direction of the creature. Nina pressed her back against a tree with her arm firmly around the front of Nancy who gripped Nina's shoulder. If Nancy wasn't so frightened; she would have noticed that Nina was calm with her breathing steady and her face void of any emotions besides the need to protect her friend.

Nina looked to her right and noticed the opening of the tree that they came through as Jonathan's light made it noticeable. Placing her hand on Nancy's back, Nina pushed her towards the opening; looking over her shoulders if the creature. The two girls gripped each other's hands as they crawled through the opening. Nancy's hand reached out as she cried out; "Jonathan!"

Jonathan began pulling Nancy through; using all his strength to pull both girls out. The girls finally broke free with Nancy being pulled into Jonathan's chest as Nina crawled on the ground beside him before rolling onto her back. She rose onto her elbows and watched as the opening close. Her head turned towards Jonathan who was gripping Nancy tightly as she sobbed into his shoulder.

"We gotta get out of here," Nina stated as she rose onto her feet before holding out her hand for either Nancy or Jonathan to grab.

Jonathan; with an arm still wrapped around Nancy as she clung to him tightly; gripped Nina's who pulled the both of them up with ease. The teens didn't speak as they made their way out of the woods and to the Wheeler's. Nina and Jonathan helped guide Nancy before placing her on her bed with Jonathan sitting beside her and Nina kneeling in front of her. Nina rose and found a folded blanket which she handed to Jonathan for him to wrap around Nancy. Deciding she needed to wash the slime and dirt off her body, Nina grabbed a set of pyjamas she always kept at the Wheeler's encase and made her way to the bathroom.

As the hot water ran over her skin, her eyes closed and her hands trembled slightly before falling into a memory.

"You will be faced with situations that will frighten you, Nine. But your ability to take control of the situation and not let your emotions take control, can save the lives of both yourself and others," Dr Bremer spoke as he stood next to a young Nina; her hair buzzed off and dressed in a thin hospital gown.