05| NOW BARB IS MISSING?!

Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Now Barb Is Missing?!

NINA walked into school the next day and looked around in confusion that Barb wasn't waiting outside like she normally does. Shrugging her shoulders, she thought that maybe Barb was waiting beside her locker but when she wasn't, Nina grew concerned for her friend. After grabbing her books for her classes, she made her way to find Nancy. However, Nina had misjudged her time before class as the bell echoed through the halls. "Shit," she muttered to herself as she forced herself to walk to class.

Nina didn't have any classes with Barb or Nancy until the end of the day which made Nina grow anxious as in all of her classes, she sat at her desk with her foot bouncing up and down. When the bell finally rang for lunch, Nina sprinted from her desk and made her way to find Nancy. "Nancy!" she called out from the down the hall from where Nancy was walking out of her class.

Nancy's head turned towards Nina's voice as Nina sprinted down the hall, avoiding hitting anyone else in the hall. "Have you seen Barb?" the girls spoke in unison making them frown their brows in confusion.

"You haven't seen her either?" Nina asked, her concern for Barb growing even more.

Nancy shook her head at her friend's question before asking; "Did you leave together last night?"

"No, I went to the bathroom and she was gone by the time I got back. Maybe she didn't like being ditched," Nina sheered making Nancy stare at her with frowning brows.

"What are you talking about?" Nancy asked her friend who scoffed and shook her head.

"You know what I'm talking about," was all Nina said before walking away from Nancy.

Nina crossed her fingers that Barb would show up sometime during the day.

Nina's hope was disappearing when Barb didn't show up after lunch. When the bell rang to signal the school day was finished, Nina finished outside to where the payphone was, hoping that Barb was at her house.

"Hello?" the voice of Mrs Holland echoed through the phone passed against Nina's ear.

"Hi. Mrs Holland, it's Nina," Nina spoke with a smile to try and hid her unease.

"Oh, Nina, how are you?" Mrs Holland asked her daughter's friend who responded back; "I'm good."

Nina was silent for a moment before asking the dreaded question; "I was just wondering if Barb was there?"

"Mmm no, she hasn't come home yet," Mrs Holland answered which made Nina start to lose hope.

"But she did come home, right? After the vigil?" Nina asked, hoping that Mrs Holland says that Barb did go home last night.