06| THE FIGURE

Chapter Six

Chapter Six

The Figure

NINA drove them to the street where Barb had parked her car last night...which was still there. Nancy and Nina looked at each other with frowned brows before they jumped out of the car. Nina was the first to arrive at Barb's car and she looked through the windows. On the passenger seat still lay Nancy's sweater that she had removed last night. This informed the girls that Barb hadn't returned to her car.

"Barb!" Nancy called out in hope of her friend responding or revealing herself to the girls.

After a few moments of silence, Nina thought of an idea. "Come on, Nance," she said to her friend as she began making her way to Steve's house.

Once the girls had reached the house, Nina led them to the backyard and looked out at the woods behind the house. "Barb?" Nancy called out again as her eyes surveyed the woods.

A rustling noise echoed through the woods...sounding like someone was walking through the wood. Nancy reached down and gripped Nina's wrist as her friend began walking toward the woods. "Barb?" this time Nina called out for their missing friend.

Nina could feel Nancy shake slightly as she led them towards the woods. Another rustling sound echoed again making the two girls stop and Nancy called out again; "Barb?"

Nina could hear growling coming from behind and suddenly something ran between the trees making the two girls' heads whip around to look. Nancy fell to the ground while Nina's brows frowned in confusion as she could somewhat make out the figure. It was very tall with black skin...and it looked like it had no face.

Nancy gripped Nina's wrist again and began dragging her out of the woods and back to the car. They ran back to the car and jumped in, slamming the doors shut and locking them. While Nina's breathing was normal, Nancy was breathing heavily. "What was that?" Nancy gasped between each word.

Nina gripped her chin and rub it in thought. "I don't know. It looked like a person...but it didn't have a face," she thought out loud and she could out of the corner of her eye, she could see Nancy nodding her head.

The girls looked at each other for a few moments; both deep in thought.

"Let's get you home," Nina said as she turned on her car and began making her way to the Wheeler house.

Their car ride was silent as neither girl spoke and Nina didn't even bother putting on her radio.

"Call me later," Nina smiled at Nancy once they arrived at the Wheeler house.

Nancy nodded at her before rushing into her house; not wanting Nina to see her tears. But Nina knew she was crying because Nina was trying hard not to cry herself...at least until she got home.

Nina didn't care that she was speeding as she just wanted to get home. Once she had slammed her front door close, she rested her back against it and slid to the floor. Tears slowly fell down her cheeks as she remained frozen. She wasn't sure what had happened to Barb, but she knew something was very wrong and she thinks that the figure she saw was involved...or responsible.

By the time Nina had picked herself off the floor, the sun had set. When Olivia finally arrived home, Nina was cooking dinner for the two of them. "Hey Mum," Nina called out but didn't receive an answer.

"Mum?" she called out again as she now looked up to see Olivia standing in the doorway of the kitchen; her eyes red and swollen.

"Mum, what's wrong?" Nina asked concernedly as she walked over to Olivia and placed her hands on Olivia's shoulders.

"Nina, it's Will," Olivia took a deep breath before she continued; "They found him."

Nina noticed that Olivia's voice cracked which made Nina's heartbreak. She knew what Olivia meant by that they found Will. They found his body.

Olivia threw her arms around her adoptive daughter who began letting out body wrenching sobs. Nina, as she was sobbing, began thinking about Mrs Byers and Jonathan and how they were coping.

৯