14| THE TANK

Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

The Tank

WHEN they got to the middle school, Nina along with Nancy and Mike went to grab hoses to fill the kiddie pool. Nina led the way to the shed and noticed the door was pad-locked. Without a second thought, she grabbed the lock and yanked it down; breaking it. "So cool," Mike commented with wide eyes.

Nina let out a small chuckle as she made her way into the shed and placed the piles of hoses into the wheelbarrow. Nina took the wheelbarrow as Mike and Nancy carried hoses over their shoulders. "What did she even eat?" Nancy asked randomly.

"What?" Mike questioned; looking over at his sister.

"Eleven."

"Oh. Candy, leftovers, Eggos...She really likes Eggos," Mike answered which made Nina suspect Mike's feelings for Eleven.

"I knew you were acting weird. I just...I thought it was because of Will," Nancy explained which made Mike retort; "I knew you were acting weird, too. I thought it was 'cause of Steve." 

Nina continued her way to the gym whilst the siblings stopped to have a heart-filled conversation which Nina didn't want to be nearby. Once they reached the gym, Nina connected the hoses to the taps and turned them on to begin filling the kiddie pool. Lucas held a thermometer in the water and called out; "Colder!"

Nina turned the cold tap and Lucas gave out another shout; "Warmer!"

She turned the other tap and finally the temperature was right as she heard; "Right there!"

Once the pool was full, Nina turned off the taps and began helping Hopper and Jonathan with the bags of salt. Dustin tested the water with an egg but there wasn't enough salt as the egg sunk. More salt was added until the egg floated. The Supercom was placed on a table and played static.

Eleven returned with Joyce by her side and removed her shoes and socks before placing them on the table with the radio. She took off the watch she was wearing and handed it to Mike which made Nina realise she was wearing Mike's watch the entire time. Eleven took the taped-up googles from Joyce and put them over her head before stepping into the make-shift sensory deprivation tank. Everyone knelt around the pool; their eyes locked on Eleven. The lights flickered before they went out completely.

A few moments passed when Eleven finally spoke; "Barbara?"

Eleven began breathing heavily as the lights started to flicker again. "What's going on?" Nancy asked when the lights went out again.

"I don't know," Mike answered; just as confused as his sister.

"Is Barb okay? Is she okay?" Nancy asked Eleven; leaning forward.

"Gone. Gone. Gone," Eleven whimpered as Joyce reached to grab the young girl's hand.

Nina placed a hand over her mouth in shock as Nancy buried her head into Nina's shoulder; tears straining the sleeve of Nina's jacket. "It's okay. It's okay. It's okay. Hey. It's okay. It's okay, we're right here. We're right here, honey. It's okay. I got you. Don't be afraid. I'm right here with you," Joyce comforted Eleven as she and Hopper held onto Eleven's hands.

"Castle Byers," Eleven breathed out; Joyce and Jonathan looked at each other.

"Will?"

Joyce gasped; relieved that her son was alive. "You tell him...tell him I'm coming. Mum is coming."

"Hurry," Will's voice came from the radio but he was weak.

"Okay. Listen, you tell him to...to stay where he is. We're coming. We're coming, okay? We're coming honey," Joyce cried out as she gripped Eleven's hand tightly.

Whimpers came through the radio before Eleven let out a loud gasp and sat up; ripping the goggles off. Joyce pulled the young girl into her chest with Eleven gripping her arm tightly. "It's okay. I got you. I got you. I got you, honey. You did so good," Joyce comforted the young girl in her arms as she cried.

Nina wiped away the tears on her cheeks as Nancy buried her head further into Nina's shoulder; the two teens wrapped their arms around each other. They mourned for their best friend but they were relieved that Will was still alive. Nina helped Eleven out of the pool and guided her over to the bleachers; wrapping a thick towel around her shivering form. The boys surrounded Eleven and Nina left them to find Nancy; knowing Eleven was in good hands. She found her friend sitting on the ground; leaning against the wall behind her with her knees held against her chest. Nina joined Nancy on the ground and the two friends didn't speak. Nancy leaned towards Nina and rested her head on the blonde's shoulder.

They were soon joined by Jonathan who sat down on the other side of Nancy. The girls knew the adults had gone to find Will. "We have to go back to the station," Nancy said after a few moments of silence.

"What?"

"Your Mums and Hopper are just walking in there like bait. That thing is still in there. And we can't just sit here and let it get them, too. We can't," Nancy explained as Jonathan and Nina looked at each other.

Jonathan let out a small sigh before asking; "You still wanna try it out?"

"I wanna finish what we started. I want to kill it."

৯