PROLOGUE| THE ESCAPE

Prologue

Prologue

The Escape

A YOUNG blonde-haired girl sat on a bed in a fully white room. The fluorescent lights made her skin look ghostly. The room was cold as evidenced by the goosebumps forming on the young girl's exposed skin as she only wore a thin hospital gown. Her hair had been shaved almost to the skin on her scalp. Her green eyes were looking down at her left inner forearm where 009 was tattooed in black ink on her fair skin. She had that tattoo since she could remember.

She laid down on the bed and stared at the plain, white wall in front of her. This room was one of the only places she was allowed to be in, making her feel like she was going crazy from consistently staring at the white walls. It was her prison cell...no matter how much 'Papa' would tell her it wasn't.

The door behind her opened causing her to sit up from the bed and look at the door to see a black-haired woman wearing white scrubs and an id clipped to the pocket of her scrubs with Scarlett Adams printed on the id, standing in the doorway, holding a bag in her hand. Scarlett was consistently looking over her shoulder as she spoke to the young girl; "Nine, I need you to come with me."

The young girl, Nine, frowned her brows in confusion as she slowly slid off the bed before flinching slightly because of the cold cement underneath her bare feet. The woman grabbed onto Nine's wrist and began to drag her through the empty building as the workers had gone home for the day. Nine stumbled over her feet a few times as she was dragged faster than she could walk.

Scarlett sighed in relief when she finally reached the door to the carpark, but her relief was short-lived as when she went to push the door open, she noticed it was locked. "Shit!" she cried out as her hand ran through her hair.

Nine slightly pushed the young woman out of the way and gripped the door handle. Suddenly, the door handle broke off from the door making Nine reach her other hand out to push the door wide open. The young girl looked at Scarlett who smiled down at her. She grabbed onto Nine's hand and began to drag her again towards a blue AMC Pacer. The woman opened the passenger door and placed Nine into the car before closing the door and rushing around to the driver's side.

"Let's get you out of here," Scarlett said to Nine who hadn't said a word.

The car took off as fast as it could and when it reached the gate, the woman didn't stop as luckily for her, the gate was open. "STOP!" the security guard at the gate cried out but he was ignored as the car drove past him.

He held an intercom to his mouth and spoke; "They escaped, sir."

The man on the other side of the intercom rolled his eyes before throwing the intercom at the wall causing it to break into pieces. "Find them!" he ordered causing those in the room to run out, trying to avoid his wrath.

After driving for several minutes, Scarlett pulled the car up outside a two-story red cabin that was miles away from any other houses. Scarlett led Nine into the cabin who stared at her surroundings in amazement as she hadn't been outside the lab ever in her life. "We will have to give you a new name. How does Nina sound?" Scarlett asked once she locked the front door of the cabin.

Nina nodded her head before Scarlett led her to the couch and allowed her to sit down on it. "Nina, my real name is Olivia Lance. I gave the lab a false name because I was tasked to discover what the lab was experimenting on. No one knows that I rescued you and no one can ever know. Do you understand?" Olivia informed the young girl who nodded but remained silent.

A small smile formed on Olivia's face before speaking; "You can talk, Nina."

"Why?" was all the young girl said as she looked up at Olivia with big green eyes.

Olivia let out a sigh as she ran a hand through her hair. "I work for the government to put bad people away and keep good people safe. Those people were using you for your abilities, Nina. They wanted you to do bad things for them," she informed the young girl before she wrapped her arms around the girl.

Olivia was a spy for a top-secret government organisation who had been undercover as a nurse at Hawkins National Laboratory for the last few weeks to gain evidence of what the labs were doing. She knew that rescuing Nina will force her to give up her job, but she didn't care as since she met Nina, all she wanted to do was keep her safe.

Over the next seven years, Nine's name was changed to Nina Lance with Olivia Lance becoming her adoptive mother. Olivia informed her agency that she quit before she took a job as a police officer for the Hawkins Police Department. After home-schooling Nina for a year, she enrolled her into school. To everyone else, Nina Lance was just a regular girl in a small town. But she wasn't a normal girl. 

৯