Tenamant

I sat in the kitchen, waiting for my toast to finish cooking. Clara shuffled into the kitchen yawning as she walked passed. "Morning Clara." I said grabbing my toast out of the toaster. She simply hummed in response and grabbed her coffee cup. I heard a car pull into the drive way. "That's Hugh. Ill talk to you later." I said walking out of the kitchen. "Elm! Don't forget your schedule!" She shouted to me. "I've got it!" I shouted back as I walked out the door. I walked to Hugh's jeep and hopped inside. "Morning." He said, patting my shoulder. "Morning." I responded, messing with my hair. Hugh put his jeep in gear and pulled out of the drive way, "When was the last time you talked to some in person that was your age since you left public school?" I sighed, "Back when I lived in Rogersville. It's a small town in Southwest Missouri."

"Oh? What made you move here?" He asked as he turned into the main road. "I didn't have a choice. I had to come live with my dad." I didn't wanna spill about my mother. I didn't feel like crying while serving cunt. "But yeah, since like- 7th grade and I'm a junior now. Im a bit of a loner. I mean. Your my only friend." I said with a smile. Hugh laughed, "Well were gonna change that."

Hugh turned the radio on and we blasted music all the way to school. We eventually pulled into the parking lot. He turned his Jeep off and we walked inside. Tenamet was the largest school in the area. The halls were pack. "Hugh- there's so many people." I said grabbing his shoulder. He stopped and looked at me, "Are you overwhelmed? Do you want my AirPods so you can listen to music?" I rubbed the back of my neck, "N-no- ill be fine. Just a tad stressed." He smiled. "What's your first class?" I pulled my schedule out of my pocket. "Band." I said looking around. "Follow me." He said, grabbing my arm and pulling me.

"Here's the band room. What do you play anyways?" High asked. "Baritone." I said, "where's the director? I need to get an instrument." Hugh pointed to him. "I'm gonna go to class now. Text me after class. Ok?" I nodded and walked to the director. "Hello, I'm Elmdan, I need an instrument." The band director turned to me. "Your the baritone player right?" He said with a smile. "Yessir." "Go in the band closet and grab a marching Baritone. You'll have to learn your spot. And the music. On your own time. Lucky for you it's a sit down rehearsal today. We're doing marching show solo auditions. Try one out if you want too." I nodded and sat next to the other low brass kids. I sat down next to a fellow baritone player. "Hey, I'm Elmdan. Nice to meet you." I said with a smile. "If by Elmdan your mean Fagdan then don't talk to me. Freak." He said as he turned away.

I sighed and started reading the music. The bell rang and class eventually started. The director warmed us up and we played the marching show music. The solo try outs came around. "Anyone else wanna try out for this solo?" I raised my hand. "I will!" "This is meant for a woodwind but if you can play it then go for it." I looked at the sheet. It looked my jumbles on a page with how many notes I needed to play. "Do I stand up?" The director nodded and I stood up.

I played the entire solo and simply sat down. The band clapped and the director had a rather surprised look on his face.

Maybe I can fit in here after all.