Prologue

Ever since Natalia was able to walk she would swim. That's what made her and Belly such good friends in a way. Some might think since they're the only two girls they would automatically be paired together, but that wasn't always the case. She spends most of her time with the boys considering that she and Jere are attached at the hip, but occasionally she'll ditch them to have one-on-one time with Belly. It started with the two going on late-night swims together and quickly grew into weekly dates at the shake shack to catch up on all the latest gossip. Nat would fill Belly in on what Conrad had been up to before they dove into their grand plan to get the two together. 

Laurel always told her how lucky she was to have met her mother, her Beck. She would always say, "Men will come and go, but best friends are forever." That was her Belly, her best friend forever. Of course, Jeremiah was her built-in best friend, but neither of them was given a choice in that matter. It was just fate, and they wouldn't have it any other way. But Belly, that was a different kind of fate. She was the one who cried with her after her first heartbreak, she was the first to know that she liked girls, after Jere of course. She loved her in a way that the boys never could, she was my Laurel and I was her Beck.

So, when she realized her mother wasn't getting better but worse, she knew she had to keep it from Belly. She wouldn't be the one to destroy Belly's world. Not just Belly, but Jere and Connie too, her mother was all of their worlds. It was almost unbearable to keep such a secret, but when she learned her eldest brother shared this burden with her, it brought a sorrowful comfort. But that comfort only went so far, the two knew that this was it, it was their last summer in Cousins all together. 

So how will she navigate it? She makes it her mission to make this the most memorable summer for her mother, even if it is secretly the most heart-wrenching for her. She makes it her mission to start looking after the boys more as well, especially Conrad, it doesn't matter to her that she's younger, he needs her. So that's how she'll navigate it, one day at a time. She will make sure not to crack, to not let on that she knows anything while also ensuring that her mom doesn't have to worry about a single thing other than spending time with the people she loves.  All that Nat needs to do, is keep treading water. Easy, right?