Dinner and a Swim

Nat's POV

Dinner in Cousins was always a treat. Not because of the meals, but because of the company. Cliche, I know. But it's true, we could be talking about math for all I care, we would find a way to make it an interesting conversation. This is why I was so unsettled by the atmosphere, it felt- unnatural. I knew why of course, I'm a bit better at playing off my emotions than Connie. Connie, well it was evident that he had changed since last Summer, however, the rest of my family was clueless as to the reason why. Everything seemed to have been going fine until Steven, being his dingus self, brought up football, although I knew it wasn't his fault, he couldn't have known. 

"So, Conrad, when does football camp start?" Steven questioned as I looked at Conrad's neutral face.

"Oh- I, uh, I quit football," yup, there it was. Steven, Laurel, and Belly displayed their surprise.

"Bro, I would've killed to play college ball," spoke Steven. 

"Yeah, well, I should focus on school anyway," the table was silent. We all knew Conrad had the opportunity to go to the school of his picking through an athletic scholarship. However, we also all knew he had that opportunity through an academic scholarship, so we stayed silent.

My mother cleared her throat to break the silence and change the subject, "So, Nat, Belly, I stopped by the country club earlier to pick these up for you guys." In front of us she placed two invites to the debutante ball, I opened my eyes with shock. Of course, my initial reaction was hell no, but then I realized why she was doing this, it was her last chance to. I promised myself to do whatever it takes to make this the best possible summer for her. "Look, before you say anything, the deb ball doesn't signify what it used to, it-".

"I'll do it," I said cutting her off. Again, the table went silent, but this time in shock, I even got Conrad to react.

My mom's face broke into a smile, "Really, you will?", she was ecstatic, laughing in excitement. 

In that moment, I knew whatever the deb ball threw at me, it would be worth it for her, "Yeah, why not? I knew you'd try to rope me into this at some point, mine as well get it over with, right?" I said jokingly to disguise my true reasons. Although one look at Conrad said he saw through it and knew my intentions. While his eyes held sadness, he gave me a small nod of his head to show he admired what I was doing. 

Jeremiah broke up the tenderness of the moment, "I'm sorry what? My sister, a debutante, are we being serious right now?"

"What is that supposed to mean?" I challenged him.

"It means that at last years deb ball you spilled tomato soup all over yourself. You were lucky you were wearing black, how the hell are you supposed to pull off an entire night in a white dress without making a mess out of yourself." Steven laughed with him.

"Hey leave Natalia alone, she's going to be great," my mom spoke proudly while I subtly flipped the two off, "Belly, what do you say?" my mom questioned.

Before she had the chance to answer Laurel intervened, "Beck, you know this isn't Belly's thing, she's our feral little ally cat." I winced for her, not the best nickname. Steven and Jeremiah once again erupted into laughter.

"I'll think about it," Belly spoke up. While I knew my moms intentions, I wouldn't force Belly into this. Belly has a way of doing the right thing without even knowing it. 

After dinner Belly approached me as I helped Laurel with the dishes, "Night swim?"

"Yeah, I can go for a quick swim before the bonfire, just let me finish up with the dishes."

"Sweet, I'll meet you out there."

When I had finished the dishes I threw on my simple black, triangle-cut bikini, so I could simply throw on some shorts and a crop top over before the bonfire. I walk out to be met with Conrad and Belly talking by the pool. I hear Belly saying she sometimes wished my mom was her mom as well.

Conrad responds saying, "You're better off with Laurel, trust me." I grimace at the sentence, knowing the meaning behind it and jump into the cool water to diffuse the tension. 

I swim over to Belly, "He just means that Laurel is great, you should be grateful for her," I say to try and make her understand.

She nods and says, "I know," after a pause she says, "race you to the deep end and back, loser pays for first round of shakes at the shake shack."

"Oh, you're so on." I say before bolting for the deep end. 

After a few minutes of swimming and bragging about my epic win, Steven and Jere come out to let us know it's about time for the bonfire. "Can I go?" Belly pleads.

"No," Steven says without wasting a breathe.

I turn to her, "Sorry Bells, if it was up to me you could come." I felt sorry leaving her in the pool, but I had one goal and one goal only tonight, to get drunk.