The Date

Nat's POV

It had been three days since Conrad and I had gotten into our fight and we have yet to speak unless it was one of us making small jabs at the other. But more importantly, it had been three days since Wally had asked me out on a date and today was the big day. He decided to leave me completely in the dark, only letting me in on the dress code and when he would be picking me up. The answers being athletic loungewear, his words to be exact, and 11 am sharp, as he had work later that day. 

I sat in front of my mirror putting my hair into two braids as Belly sat on my bed repeating the same exact first date speech I gave her just days ago, despite me having gone on many dates.  She was having the time of her life mocking me, "oh, and don't forget about the pepper spray I gave you-"

I cut her off with a pillow to the face, "shut up," I said laughing. Belly pulled the pillow to her stomach, rolling around on my bed laughing. 

My mother walked into the room giving me a once over, "hm, you look beautiful as always honey, but I gotta say that's interesting first date apparel," I was wearing my black nike running shorts with a lavender athletic top.

I smiled up at her, "while mom, I'm an interesting first date, you have to keep me entertained."

She giggled, "how rude of me to forget."

I stood up, heading over to my dresser to put on some simple jewelry pieces. I put in some bland but cute earrings before leaving to head to the bathroom for makeup, only to be stopped by my mom starring at me in awe. I look at her with suspicion, "What?"

"Nothing, just savoring the little moments with me sweet girl," she said as she tucked my stray hairs behind my ears. I smiled back at her before giving her a hug. We stood like that for a moment, basking in each others presence. After a few more moments my mom broke the hug, "you should probably go finish getting ready," she said releasing me, "and I want to meet this boy."

"Yeah, yeah, ok mom," I said laughing in embarrassment before heading to the bathroom. I kept my makeup light with mascara and blush, topping off the look with some cherry chapstick. I checked my phone to see that Wally should be here any minute and headed downstairs.

Everyone- with the exception of Conrad which left me quite happy as I had no desire to see his annoying face- was sat in the kitchen. They tried to act natural, as if they weren't waiting for me. "Wow guys, real smooth," I said unimpressed.

"Hey, I'm just performing my twin brother duties of intimidating the date," Jeremiah said smugly as Steven nodded along with him. Belly, Laurel, and I rolled our eyes while Mom just smiled at the gesture.

"Oh yeah, I'm sure he'll be real intimidated by you mister mesh tank top," I said, pointing out the horrendous top he had on to go with his life guard uniform. 

We all laughed at him, including Steven, which seemed to upset Jere, "Really, you're laughing?" he said appalled at Steven, "I'm not the one rocking the hairnet, buddy." This time it was Steven's turn to be laughed at by everyone.

Just then we were cut off by the sound of Wally pulling up, I got up to leave. "Wait where are you going, I want to meet this boy," my mom said, stopping me.

I scoffed, "Mom, this isn't the 80's boys don't come up to the door anymo-" 

I was cut off by a knock to the door. Mom smirked, "Not the 80's anymore, huh?"

I pressed my lips together, accepting the loss before turning to get the door. 

I opened it to see Wally dressed in Nike shorts of his own and a fitted t-shirt. We both stared at each other for a moment in innocent awkwardness before I spoke up, "Hey."