Chapter 1

A ray of sun found its way to San's table, hitting Yeosang's glass of iced coffee and turning browns into orange, beige cream into white. The drink was still untouched, if not for the many traces waiters had inevitably left on the glass, hidden at first glance but now exposed by the light.

San allowed himself a minute to enjoy the welcomed warmth, leaning against the booth seat and taking in the sight. No matter how many times he had come here to work or hang out with friends, the Wonderland Cafe never ceased to be the prettiest place in town for him. With its walls covered by polished wood, the many green plants placed in pots all over the room or falling from wicker baskets hanging from the white ceiling, and the large window taking up the front wall, it radiated a sense of comfort and peace San couldn't find anywhere else.

He had taken a seat on one of the four tables of the room, further from the window and close to the counter - most people came to order and left, meaning the cafe was usually empty during the day. Yeosang was there too, sitting in front of him and snapping a thousand selfies per second. The sight was ridiculous yet familiar, and San couldn't fight against the fond smile breaking on his lips.

Eventually, he went back to the logo he had been designing on his laptop all morning. His client was a regular and San knew he wouldn't have to worry about a deadline, but his list of tasks was getting longer and finishing this one early would make life easier for the next few days.

Just as he was about to drastically change the colors of his logo, the bell rang, announcing the arrival of a new customer. More by force of habit than pushed by curiosity, San glanced up to look at whoever had walked in, only for his heart to pitifully skip a beat. Cheeks growing hot, he hastened to look away, back to his screen.

Jung Wooyoung.

A name known by too many. A name that wouldn't cease to fill San's mind.

No matter how many times San had seen him entering this place, his reaction would always be the same - heart skipping a beat, warmth climbing to his cheeks, and a desperate need to stand up and introduce himself already.

Unable to focus on his work anymore, he sneaked another glance toward the counter, where Wooyoung was currently ordering his usual hot chocolate. The piercings adorning his right ear were twinkling in the light of the sun, but all San could see was the silky yellow ribbon Wooyoung had used to tie his hair in a ponytail.

Yellow... San had never seen this one before. It suited him.

"You're staring," Yeosang said, finally sipping his iced coffee. His phone was back on the table, screen facing the ceiling. "You know I won't judge you or anything, but Jongho would crush your head if he knew you were still obsessed-"

"I'm not obsessed."

"-crushing extra hard on this guy."

He rolled his eyes, stirring his drink with his straw.

San kept his mouth shut for a moment, busying himself with his logo and saving his work. If this was where their conversation was going, then he wouldn't stay there for long.

"You know I don't care," he eventually answered, clasping his laptop shut.

"I do." Something soft flew across Yeosang's eyes as he lowered his drink to give San his full attention. "We just want to keep you safe, San. The rumors..."

That was San's cue to leave.

Sighing, he slid his laptop in his bag and stood up, not missing the slight pout forming on Yeosang's lips.

"Hey," he called, smiling fondly when his friend looked up. "Stop pouting. I'll be free tomorrow, let's eat somewhere nice with Jongho, okay ? My treat."