Chapter 7

Telling the entire truth to their friends had been as relieving as it was exhausting.

Seeing their faces when Wooyoung used his magic was hilarious, especially Mingi's each time Wooyoung switched a light on with a flick of the hand. Or that one time when Hongjoong spent a whole minute struggling with a stool to take a box placed on the top shelf of San's apartment, only for Wooyoung to come into the room, raise his hands and wait for the box to fall in his arms.

The magic part of the truth was fun.

The one including the curse wasn't.

San had been doing fine pushing the worrying thoughts into a locked part of his mind, only opening it when he really needed to mention the subject, but he couldn't ignore it now that his friends knew.

They were his daily reminder.

It was as if he had been made of sugar overnight and they couldn't touch him or talk to him as they usually would, too scared he would break or melt right in front of their eyes. He couldn't spend an hour on the couch of his apartment without at least two of his friends asking him if he was feeling alright, couldn't share a random conversation with any of them without being looked at with sad eyes, or brought into sudden hugs.

Granted, the hugs felt nice, but the excessive attention was getting tiring. It felt like San needed to be constantly reminded that he was dying and could possibly be living his last months on earth, which was exactly what he wanted to avoid.

He wanted his friends to act normally with him. He wanted to feel normal, to enjoy the time he still had with them.

But could he, really ?

Things took a turn when one day, Wooyoung seemed to have been fed up with their over-protectivity and sent a long text in their group chat, telling them how grateful he was for their attention and support, but that they were all turning into concerned Seonghwas and it was starting to be slightly oppressive.

Apparently, turning into a concerned Seonghwa wasn't a compliment because the next day, San was able to hold a conversation with Yunho and Hongjoong without being asked if he was okay, and no one offered to walk him to Wooyoung's house after his shift.

Seonghwa stayed as concerned as ever and Wooyoung's little lecture didn't stop Jongho from coming over and sleep in San's bed when he knew his friend wasn't staying at Wooyoung's, but San wasn't going to complain about this one.

Except these were just small hindrances compared to the real problem San's curse had created.

Wooyoung's state was starting to be concerning. Not because of the curse slowly killing him, but because of the curse slowly killing San.

As soon as their friends had left the house after learning the truth about the curse, Wooyoung had buried himself under search, opening grimoire after grimoire, taking notes and never leaving his desk. It stayed that way for days, then weeks, until it became painful for San to watch.

Wooyoung would wake up in the middle of the night and slip out of San's embrace to sit at his desk, go through his books, and curse under his breath. Sometimes, he would close his grimoire, switch off his tiny lamp and silently cry, face buried in his arms on the desk. The house would turn cold, and San's heart would slowly break. The rest of the time, he would simply come back to San's side and snuggle close, only to go back to his desk in the morning.

During the day, he would try things on himself, difficult rituals he knew were too advanced for him. He would cast a protection circle, recite a few words... Cry in pain, pass out on the floor. Push San away, try again. Pass out again. And again, and again, until he would be unable to move, talk or eat for hours after his candles switched off.