Chapter 4

Friday came too fast, and San hadn't found the time nor the courage to talk to Wooyoung about his discovery. The thoughts had been invading his mind from dawn to dusk every day, creeping inside his dreams at night, making his stomach cramp and his heart clench... But the week had been rough, with lots of deadlines and not enough time and for once, San had been grateful for the distraction.

He would be lying if he said he hadn't missed Wooyoung. Too stressed by his clients' pressure, San had chosen to work in his own apartment every night rather than coming over to Wooyoung's place, resulting in them seeing each other only once, when Wooyoung came to Wonderland Cafe on Wednesday.

The week was finally over though, San's deadlines behind him, and he felt like breathing again. Their small party couldn't come at a better time.

To San's most pleasant surprise, Wooyoung had dragged Seonghwa with him, chickening out at the last minute and probably needing the extra support of their older friend. San hadn't said anything when Wooyoung had smiled sheepishly under the porch, Seonghwa by his side. He had simply kissed his cheek and took his hand, thanking Seonghwa for his presence while closing the door behind them.

It didn't take long for Hongjoong and Seonghwa to bond over their hatred – love – toward their respective younger friends. Once they sat on the extra chairs Yunho had brought from the kitchen to the living room, they never stopped talking.

Things went just as smoothly with Wooyoung.

It shouldn't have even been a surprise, but Wooyoung blended perfectly with San's group of friends. He had started shyly at first, with small smiles and a timid voice, clinging to San's arm as he introduced the younger to his friends.

It took him a few drinks and a stupid joke from Mingi until he eventually pushed his barriers to the ground and came out of his shell, smiling and laughing and being loud and annoying, but so damn endearing.

San had always been so sure he had seen it all, that he knew each and every facet of Wooyoung... But this one, this Wooyoung, yelling with Mingi for no other reason than being loud, biting Yunho just to laugh at him a second later, and wrestling with Jongho even if he knew he couldn't even bend his finger, this was a Wooyoung San hadn't been able to see before, stuck in their little cocoon in the forest.

It pained San as much as it warmed his heart.

Wooyoung truly was made to be surrounded by people. He was made to have friends, tons of them, to be outside, to live, to be free. Yet he was caged, tied to his house by rumors, cuffed to his past by his missing friend.

San truly hoped this night would change things, if only just a little. He wanted Wooyoung to be happy, to have the friends he deserved, people who would love him as much as San and Seonghwa did. So far, it seemed to be heading in the right direction, but there was one thing San wouldn't have been able to predict. Ever.

Yeosang.

Opposite attracts, people said. San was there to witness this saying in real time, right before his eyes.

Like magnets, Yeosang and Wooyoung instantly clicked. They had started with small talk, polite and calm at first. San blinked for a second and now they were basically best friends, huddled against each other on the couch and giggling every three seconds.

San watched them from the other side of the room, sipping on his beer and trying to push away the itching feeling creeping in his chest when someone came to sit by his side, back resting against the wall.

"Hey," Jongho said with a sweet smile, gifting San with another can.

"Hey."

They didn't add anything. They didn't need to. Silence settled back between them as they watched their friends enjoying their night. Seonghwa and Hongjoong were busy scolding Mingi for some unknown reason, probably justified. Yunho was rolling on the floor, laughing at him.