Chapter 6

San couldn't remember how he got here. He remembered the rain slapping his face as he ran through the forest, his tears never stopping as he crossed the city. He remembered bursting into his apartment, scaring Mingi to death. He remembered the towel thrown over his shoulders as he cried in the hallway, on the carpet, then in Yunho's arms. Hongjoong was there too, swearing under his breath and saying he would call Seonghwa to have an explanation.

He remembered Jongho gently detaching him from Yunho to lead him to his room, and remembered Mingi's worried eyes.

He didn't remember lying on his bed, even less changing into dry clothes.

He must have fallen asleep because when he opened his eyes, his room was filled with darkness despite the blinds being only halfway down, and the rain had stopped. San's face was buried against someone's chest, two strong arms holding him, and he took no time to guess they belonged to Jongho.

He closed his eyes again, just for a moment, just to enjoy the familiarity of his best friend's body. He smelled like home, and that was all San needed now.

Home...

Mili.

San felt his heart contracting and he instinctively curled on himself but his sudden movement woke Jongho up. The younger shifted against San and tightened his hold around him, before he relaxed again. Gentle fingers started running through San's hair.

"Hey," Jongho whispered.

"Hey..."

Bad. He sounded bad. San had no idea how long he had been crying but his throat was so dry he felt like he had eaten a giant bag of salt for dinner. He didn't want to get out of Jongho's embrace, but he really needed to drink something.

"Oh, wait," Jongho said before San could even try to move.

Keeping him close to his chest, he slightly turned on the mattress and extended his arm toward the bedside table. When he turned back to San, he gently helped him sit up and handed him the glass of water he was holding.

San gulped it down in a second and sighed in satisfaction, making Jongho chuckle as he took the glass back. He discarded it on the bedside table and led them back to their previous position to cuddle.

"What happened ?" Jongho asked, softly, as if scared that San would crumble or turn into ashes if he wasn't careful. "You kept saying Wooyoung's name while crying last night so we got worried. Seonghwa went to Wooyoung's house, then he texted Joong and asked us to stay by your side and give you tons of hugs."

San couldn't help but let out a small chuckle. Of course, Seonghwa would be worried for him no matter the situation. He had probably known about Wooyoung's decision for a while, and San wouldn't be surprised if he learned the older had tried to reason with Wooyoung for the past few days.

And failed.

San's smile fell and he nuzzled against Jongho's neck, in need of his familiar warmth.

"I'll tell you something, but you have to promise you won't tell anyone," San murmured. "Not even Yeosang."

He heard the faint "oh" of surprise from Jongho, but it was expected. They didn't really have any secret - minus San hiding his relationship with Wooyoung for two months - and when they did have serious things they needed to talk about, it was only with the three of them. Yeosang, Jongho, and San. Not Yeosang and San. Not Jongho and San. They were a team, and it had always been natural for them to share everything with the two others.

Of course, Jongho would be surprised. But San was already about to spill something he shouldn't be spilling, and Yeosang was too close to Wooyoung now. San didn't want to hurt his best friend by telling him the painful truth. He couldn't. Not yet, not when everything was still so fresh and hard to swallow for San too.