14. The Kyber Crystals

3 years of training later

Aris's POV

"You're ready for the Gathering." These words from Obi-Wan keep repeating in my mind. This is it! Anakin and I will finally build our lightsabers! I wonder what colour mine will be. I hope it is blue.

We are heading out tomorrow. I lie in my bed, unable to sleep with excitement.

"Psst, Ani. You awake?" I call out to Anakin in the bunk bed beside me.

"I am now," Anakin says as he rubs his eyes and sits up in his bed.

"I wonder what tests we have to pass tomorrow."

"I don't know, but we'll need sleep," Anakin replies as he goes back to sleep. I do the same.

///////////////////////

My alarm rings at 6 am in the morning. Master Obi-Wan told me to set it at that time. At the same time, Anakin's alarm rings too. I jump out of bed.

"Woohoo!!!! Today we're gonna build our lightsabers!" I shout, unable to control my excitement.

"Woah, woah, Aris, cool down. I'm still just waking up, you know," Anakin tries to go back to sleep.

"Bro, wake up! Do you wanna be late for the Gathering?" I shake him up.

"I guess not..." Anakin sighs and gets out of bed.

We start packing for our journey.

At 8 am, when Anakin and I walk out to the meeting place that Master Obi-Wan has called us to, we are met with a small ship. Our master is already there.

"Anakin, Aris. We are going to Ilum to get our kyber crystals. On our way back, you will build your lightsabers. I will be piloting a different ship to get back to Coruscant," Master Obi-Wan briefs me and Anakin. 

Anakin and I nod.

We step into the ship, with Master Obi-Wan following closely behind.

The ship takes off, and for the first time in our training, Anakin and I leave Coruscant.

Anakin is now as excited as me.

"I wonder what my lightsaber colour is gonna be. I think it's gonna be blue!" Anakin says excitedly.

"Don't get your hopes up, kids. You'll have to pass through some tests before you can even get your crystals," Master Obi-Wan says.

"Don't worry, Master. We will pass the tests and get our crystals!" I say enthusiastically.

Master Obi-Wan nods. "I know you will."

He activates the hyperdrive and we speed off into hyperspace to Ilum.

////////////////////////

I love being in hyperspace. It's so cool! Too bad some trips into hyperspace don't last very long, like this one. Before long, we jump out of hyperspace and an icy planet comes into view.

Ilum.

We head down into the freezing atmosphere. This place is the exact opposite of Tatooine. Anakin and I shiver as we put our coats on. Even through the thick woollen coats, I can still feel the chilly wind biting at my skin.

Anakin and I follow Master Obi-Wan to an icy wall. 

"Anakin, Aris, you will have to use the Force to open the wall. Only if you do it together, then we can do it," Obi-Wan instructs me and Anakin.

Anakin and I step forward, facing the icy wall. We raise our hands, close our eyes, and focus our energy to the Force.

A low rumbling sound erupts from the wall.