Chapter 11: My Strength is in my Breathing

'Would you give me tips on how to defeat Kanao?' those words repeated itself in my head over and over again. I'm not good at teaching, how am I supposed to help him? I'd like to, but it's hard. Well, I'm not sure how I can refuse from him, so I guess I'll try?

"I- well, you might have heard these things before, but it's all I can do since I can't really teach. Focus on her movement and her actions. Every single second. If you're goal is to win, then your attention has to be on the battlefield and nothing else. If you think of something to motivate yourself, sure you can do that, but stay focused, and don't let go of it. I've noticed Kanao doesn't show much expression, so looking at her face gestures won't be of much help in reflex training. It might in full body training though".

"Ah, ok!"

"And Kanao is very agile compared to you, don't take it to offense, so I guess just focus on your legs, and their stamina and energy to run quicker so you can catch up, and that's pretty much it. Also there's this special breathing called Total concentration breathing which I have forgotten all the details about even though I do it every day; it may help you so ask I don't know Kiyo or Aoi after training today. Maybe you've probably heard about it before".

"Thanks y/n-san!"

(After training)

"Hey Tanjiro I'm gonna get a snack I'll see you back in the dorm room".

"Oh ok".

We parted our ways. Today, Tanjiro won against Aoi, well once or twice. He tried his best. Aoi said that I'm recovering quickly, and am almost fully healed. I'm still a new hashira, so I don't heal as quick as the others. But I feel that I need to stay to train more to get back on my feet. I saw some food in the kitchen, I checked around for anyone, grabbed it and ran back to the dorm room.

(Tanjiro's pov) 

"Tanjiro, are you alright?" Sumi held my hand.

"Yeah! What do you need me for?"

"H-here's a towel!"

"Ah, thank you! Y/n-san was right - you really are kind girls!"

"Um, Tanjiro, do you maintain total concentration breathing?" Kiyo asked.

"W-well, I've heard y/n mention it to me before, but she wasn't able to tell me how to master it because she isn't that much of a teacher. Oh yeah, she asked me to ask you guys about it!"

"We'll show you later, but you maintain it through the morning, noon and night, even when you sleep!"

"Um, is that even possible?"

"Mhm! We were told that doing this makes a world of difference!"

"Every single second of the day and night, maintaining it... even doing it for a short time makes me feel a little bad, but all the time?"

"Some people have mastered it already! All the hashira and Kanao! Do the best you can!"

"Well, ok, I'll give it a shot!"

(y/n's pov back in the dorm room)

"Sooooooo.... how's life?"

"It's meh" Zenitsu said.

"How about you Inosuke?"

"Quite boring I guess"

"It wouldn't if you went to training"

"Doesn't matter"

"Hey guys!" Tanjiro said.

"Sup Tanjiro" I said.