9 : Setting It Right

Perhaps, if 'Peace' was an art form, 'Non-Violence' is the artist. Unfortunately, people, very seldom choose to adhere by the norms of the art form and practice it. But, the people who do choose to be the paint brushes through which the artist would create his art form, are the veridical champions.

Standing on the open grounds, cocooning the medical camps, in the hours of the premature morning, Proffesor Eklavya Bannerjee saw himself being engulfed by terror. Unaccustomed with the art of fabrication, his body had started shuddering. However, he had in turn shuddered the shuddering emotion, by recalling the wise words his sister - No, not his sister, Suhashini, this time. The wise words that Sacrosanct Agastya had shared with him.

That late night,
"Please...Take him to the doctors, Dada." Suhashini had said, with a pleading touch in her eloquent voice, as if she desperately wants James Walker, the apparently brutal British Officer, to be treated. "He needs help. Urgently!"

"But he's a British, Suhash." Eklavya had debated.

"But he's a human, above all, Da.."

Suhash had debated in turn.
"You've been rebelling against the British, Suhash, and now you want an already dying British Officer, to be saved. That too you yourself are making the arrangements." Eklavya again, argued. "How am I supposed to take this?"

"Take it as it is." Suhash had replied plainly.

"All this time you've been working against the British, and you are working to save a life of a brutal one from that clan." Eklavya had insisted. "Tell me, Suhash. Why?"

"You think that because you don't know what exactly happens at our encounters with the British. We are humans and so are they. We are working for our country and so are they. They are not wrong. Nor, are you protesting them. Yes, we are rebelling. But that is against the injustice if being shackled. We want Swaraj. That is our right and we will have it. And we are fighting for Swaraj. We're definitely not fighting against humanity. And letting a man die an undeserved death would be the most calamitous deed of inhumanity." This time Suhash's voice had gathered ba stiff tone. Her usual soft tone becoming rigid.

"But why save that brutal British officer? Let him die. He deserves it." The professor remained inflexible.

"No human being on Earth ever deserves to be dead." Suhash fiercely protested.
"Why Suhash? You yourself had tried to kill him, so -" He was stopped.

"NEVER. I NEVER TRIED TO KILL HIM." Suhash protested, trying to regain her composure, she again spoke, "This man. THIS MAN. You see lying under the rains, struck by Absinthe, Guilts, and Lighting, had a wife. His Durgavati, who had, in her own terms, had burnt down the entire British gathering at an official party." Her voice, now getting shuddered by the moisture, "He thought that I...I had manipulated his wife, he couldn't withstand it. He thought that I WAS A MAN. He had assumed that his wife had prioritised his rival, Agastya, over him. So, out of suspicion, hatred, and insecurity, he had abandoned all her belongings after her death. Now, when he was found that I'm NO MAN. BUT A WOMAN. That great pain of terribly mistrusting his dead wife, whom he used to love dearly once, had maddened him completely. And then the thunder struck him. Perhaps, he had cradled with himself all the misfortunes of world, today. He deserves to live. He has the right to do so."

"So...he's Late Durgavati Devi's widowed husband?" Eklavya finally understood.

"YES!" Suhash exclaimed.

A few minutes of silence prevailed. Eklavya, himself, was doomed into guilt. Guilt of questioning sensitivities.
Suhash inhaled the fresh air and sighed deeply. She spoke, again.

"See..Dada. You've given me excessive affection and care. And, trust me, I reciprocate nthe same amounts of respect and love for you. But, this is a thing I never wanted you to know...."

"Exactly. Suhash. That's what I'm asking. Why?" Eklavya emphasized.

"The profession I am in, doesn't provide me with the assurance of my life. I maybe alive tomorrow but the day after tomorrow, I maybe not. And whether I live or not - " Suhash was interrupted.

"Shhhh...Nah, don't say all these."
Eklavya had stopped her.

"You see...just the mere possibility is scaring you. But let me complete it. No one actually cares whether I live or not, other than you and Asha. Asha has found more strength after her marriage. But you and I are alone. If I....I die, you have to live." Her voice choked. "You have to live so that the women in Churagarh get their much deserved rights. This confession of the identity of Agastya is merely an accident, which should have never happened - for I know, that you would now jump into the missions and put your life also into risk." She paused. Then continued again, "You and I...Both of us cannot die together. You have live, even if I...I don't."

Both of their eyes were glistening with an amalgamation of a lot of emotions.
"Take him to the British Doctors, Da." Suhash told her brother. "I'll take the other injured man to Shashi Pishi's place. Shoilo, Pishi and I can take care of him. He doesn't deserve to be dead, for no reason, either."

She walked up to the formerly wounded man and said, "You will have justice. Your criminal, Officer James Walker will have to undergo his share of price. The price of almost trying to kill you. But, once he recovers. I promise to bring justice to you. I promise." Eklavya had heard this as the last statement of the Sacrosanct. He had left for the doctors' encampment with the Officer in his Jeep.

---

Eklavya had not gathered endurance. He spoke with an unshaken voice, "I had found the officer, lying outside our house."

"I'm sorry... Who're you?" Officer Turner asked.

"Professor Eklavya Bannerjee. Ray Baha- " His voice stopped, purposefully for he hated the address. "Ray Bahadur Devendranath Bannerjee's son."

"Ohh..Sir. Thank You so much." Turner thanked him. "Thank You Sir. I'd never forget the pains who had just made for us."

Turner left the area at the doctor's call.
"How did you find him?" Oscar Dankworth asked Eklavya Bannerjee, the usual subtleness firmly settled into his voice.

"While I was returning, I saw him there, unconscious." The professor replied.

"From where were you returning,may I know please?" Dankworth further inquired.

"Certainly. I was returning from the University." Eklavya replied.

"So late?" The officer asked.

"To train young minds is equivalent to training one's own mind. I was held up at the University Library. Hence I was late." Eklavya was saying the truth. He actually was late for that reason. That is why, the commotion at the basement of the peaceful house, caught his ear and attention. "Anything more, Officer?"

"Thank you, Mr. Bannerjee." Dankworth said. "It was pleasure meeting you."

"No worries. But, may I know who you are, Officer. A new appointment?"
Eklavya said.

"Yes, Sir. A new appointment." Dankworth replied.

-----

That morning,

"Suhash.." Eklavya knocked at the door of Suhash's room.

"It's unlatched, Da...Come in." A prompt reply came from inside.

I was saying- " Eklavya stopped for a moment, before speaking again. "Are you in love?"

"What?" Suhash immediately responsed,
her self being doomed into obfuscation.

"I said...." Eklavya reframed his words. "Do you love him?"

------

Please vote for the chapters if you like them. I'd be pleased to read your comments, too.