3 : The Surprise

"The Governor-General, Mr. George Thomas, has been found hanging in his bedroom."

This was the cry that the entire proposition reeked of. In newspapers, English and vernacular, in radios, in human mouthpieces, everywhere, everyone was discussing about this great shock. It was unexpected. It was unexpected for Agastya, for the cadre, and for all the common men and women. Thomas had died. That too, not in an accident but by committing suicide. Unbelievable, unbelievable and unbelievable!

-------

The cadre had gathered again, at the same spot, with distinct uneasy expressions on each face.

"Thomas has died. Really?" Vashishtha chuckled, confused.

"How did the devil escape so easily?" Gautama gasped, also confused.

"It didn't seem like Thomas was under any trauma for a prolonged time."

"Certainly. Even only a week back, he was threatening Agastya, kidnapping Nilambar and warning the Indians."

"Maybe, that was quick!"

"What was quick?"

"The trauma!"

"Enough!" warned Vishvamitra, putting a clear full-stop to the confusing discussion that Vashishtha and Gautama were having.

Confusion. Everyone was confused, even the elite cadre.

"But was it even suicide? I mean, even if the trauma was quick, I don't think Thomas would commit suicide. He was quiet a cold-hearted man. Always up for revenge. So why?" Vishvamitra let out, softly.

"In my opinion, we're following the wrong question," Agastya finally spoke out. "Ask who?"

"What?" the entire battalion echoed.

"I said ask who."

"Who?" they repeated.

"The wife. Maybe......"

A few more minutes of pause persisted, until Vishvamitra said, "You mean Mrs. Thomas."

"Hmm," Agastya murmured.

"But, why?"

"That's what! Why? Why?"

"Her name is Katherine. Katherine Thomas,"

"Hmmm...The newly wedded Mr. George Thomas and Mrs.Katherine Thomas."

"What news could you gather, in all this time?" Agastya questioned, addressing Vashishtha. "Tell us again from the very beginning."

"Ummm.....nothing much. Just that...when Jane Thomas...I mean the former Mrs. Thomas had died, six months back, George Thomas had been an extremely crest fallen and mourning widower, until his visit to England for a day or two, shortly after Jane's death. When he returned, he actually got himself a new wife. A new wife. Can you even imagine? Yesterday's mourning widower took no respite, and turned into today's newly-wedded groom."

"Then?"

"Then what? Just an odd fact. That is, Mr. Thomas was himself around fifty six. His first wife, Mrs. Jane Thomas was also around his age, fifty five, maybe. And, this new wife, Katherine, has just turned twenty one last month. Such an enormous age gap. Katherine is even less than half of Thomas' own age. Awkward!"

"Okay.....Did Katherine have any regular visits from.....um, you know, anyone who would meet her everyday surely, without fail?" Agastya asked.

"Uh....she would not converse with many. She didn't even allow servants inside her room. She was a strange kind of a woman. Mysterious, you know..........ummmm, Yes!" Vashishtha exclaimed, suddenly. "Her friend, named, Oscar Dankworth, would come to pay her visits every day, in the early hours. I do not know much about him, just knew his name from the mouths of the guards at the Governor's place. But an extremely tall guy, fair and well-built. As huge as a mountain."

The atmosphere was impregnated with tension, once again. Until, a petite silhouette came running towards them, a member from the cadre of Agastya, panting for breath.

"What has happened? What news?" asked Gautama.

"The British Government has appointed a temporary officer in charge of the duties of Thomas."

"What?" the gathering echoed, surprised at the government's speed.

"Yes. Oscar Dankworth."

"What?"

"Yes, yes! I have just heard from the headquarters, from my very own ears. It's a confirmed news. Oh Lord!" said the newcomer, still panting for air.

"Hmmmmm," this time the wordless reply went a little longer, a little extended. All of them looked at Agastya, their eyes brimming with pride. Agastya knew it right. Again.

"How did you know it?" Vashishtha whispered into Agastya's ear.

"I just knew. You would know one day, too!" Agastya chuckled whispering, smiling at Vashishtha's question.

Ah! That pristine smile. Pure and radiant.

Another thoughtful silence existed. Breaking the silence, Agastya declared, sounding enthusiastic, "Alright then. Let's hatch it!"

"Let's hatch it!" repeated the others, in a synchronized tone of voices.

"Are we ready for the next venture, team?" Agastya cheered his team.

"Aye, aye, Captain!" this the response went louder and stronger. They had become extremely cheerful!

----------------------------------

How do you like it?