17: A King's Ransom

"Humans, being strange creatures, sometimes land in situations that are uncanny, eerie and mysterious. On the face, one can never estimate the quantity of skeleton one has in one's closet. It can all be a lie, a fallacy. You may never know if a person has had a grave criminal history. You may never know. That same person might laugh, love and live their lives like the ordinary, when he or she is not. Or it can also be that once a spiritual person, has turned into a malefactor. These things, though enormous as it sounds, slips through the fingers as easily as sand, if they are not known. It all depends on how much the people around you know about you," Agastya said.

"Why do you say that?" Chitra questioned.

Suhash gestured at the newspaper kept on the table. Chitra read the headlines aloud.

"After three days of interrogation, the malefactor has confessed his crimes and also aided the police in spotting his friends."

She stopped reading and looked at Suhash for a second. Then continued, "Our esteemed governor Mr. Oscar Dankworth has been looking into this matter, himself. May the brilliant man prosper!"

"Is he dumb, to this extent?" Chitra exclaimed. "Seriously?"

"Perhaps a foul player. Is he trying to outwit us? I don't know." Suhash answered. "But certainly, not dumb."

She continued, "Let's see what news Shoilo brings."

She walked to unlatch the door and stood there until Shoilo reached the doorsteps.

"Oh, you knew I was coming?"

"Kind of," Suhash replied. "Don't run that fast or you'll trip and fall and hurt yourself someday."

"What news do you bring?"

"Katherine. Late George Thomas' wife is leaving for Scotland tomorrow."

"Scotland?," Chitra asked. "Isn't she from England?"

"Here," Suhash said. "Have this."
She handed a glass of water to Shoilo.

"Oh, thank you Didimoni," Shoilo continued.

"As far as I could hear, she is native to Scotland. Born and brought up there. Recently she had moved to England, where she met that wicked old wizard. And got married to him."

Anything else?" Suhash asked.

" Yes. Oscar Dankworth is coming to meet her after a long time.

"Wait Shoilo. Tell me if you suspect that they have some romantic relationship?" Suhash questioned.

"Well, I don't think so," Shoilo answered. "I mean if a romantic angle is involved, one can identify that by the body languages of two people. And their behavior with each other, it doesn't imply so."

"Anyways, Didimoni. I plan to listen to their conversion tonight. The last time, I almost got caught. But I'll be more careful tonight."

"All the best, Shoilo," Chitra said.

"Thank you Chitra," Shoilo said. "I think I should get going today. Dankworth is supposed to arrive within an hour."

"I am proud of you, girl," Suhash shouted.

Shoilo turned back to pass a smile and ran away.

"Chitra, the inauguration ceremony at the Essayist is approaching. Major Som Shekhar Lahiri had written me a letter that he needs our acknowledgement and support before he executes his plan," Suhash said.

"Can you show me the letter?"

"Sure," Suhashini answered. "Here. And there is this book."

A King's Ransom.

"A King's Ransom?" Chitra said. She had just begun reading the first page.

"SUHASH, YOU ARE PLANNING TO BOMB THE BUILDING?"

"Don't shout. Calm down."

Chitra was dumbfounded. This revelation was perhaps too random and hasty for her.

"At this point of time, it is essential. Look, I think it is now time to stop playing defence. Since the past months, the British have been instigating havoc and we have been fixing it. The British have to understand that we can also cause a rebellion. They need to be terrified. We need to strike terror in their hearts. So that they cannot easily arrest, torture and kill the Indians. This is important, Chitra. It really is."

She continued, "And we have the situation in our favor. We are not men, who need to explain themselves before entering or leaving a place. We are widows- hapless creatures in their opinions. The British do employ widows to do miserly jobs in their parties and their houses. That is how we have been working all this time, right? Shoilo works at Thomas' place and brings us information. Others work at the police station as cooks and sweepers. We also have a free easy pass to the parties. This is easy for us."

"And, whenever the plan is executed. I'll go and plant it in the heart of the essayist," The Sacrosanct concluded.

----------

PLEASE VOTE.
AND TELL ME IN THE COMMENTS IF YOU LIKED IT <3
ALSO, I SHOULD TELL YOU THAT WE HAVE ATMOST FIVE MORE CHAPTERS FOR THIS BOOK TO END!

PLEASE SHARE THIS BOOK WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY. SHOW YOUR WRITER SOME LOVE AND SUPPORT.