Twenty three

Lorenzo

It's Friday. The day I've been dreading. My fathers arrival. I've been at the airport waiting for him for about forty five minutes now,I guess his plane got delayed an hour back home, something wrong with fuel tank so he had to wait for a new one. Even if he had to switch planes he should be here by now. As if the man heard me I see the plane descend. We wait behind the gates until the plane has safely landed.

Twenty minutes later I'm parked on the runway watching him descend the stairs of the luxury aircraft. My fifty five year old father glares at me from the bottom of the steps. "Hello father." He grunts and walks past me to the backseat of the SUV. When I get into the car he starts. "That was the worst plane ride ever. I'm going to be asking about those pilots credentials."

It's always something with him. He is also speaking to me like I personally trained those pilots. "I'm sure it was just bad winds and turbulence, that can't control that." He huffs. "Yeah right." Is the last complaint I hear form him the whole way back to Giovanni's mansion.

  When we drive past his front gates, and the house comes into view my fathers eyes widen. He quickly hides his shock at the size of the estate with a scoff and an eye roll. "Didn't know Giovanni was such a show off." It's my turn to roll my eyes, but not at the house. "You have a big house." I try not to sound defensive towards Gio. "Okay but this, this is a tad extra." He throws his arms up towards the house.

  Wait til he finds out Gio has two pools, one indoor and one outdoor, and finds out he has a whole hallway too himself. Well technically I'm invading his space right now, but He would probably count me as apart of his space and that makes me smile. I step out of the car and start heading towards the house. "So you were just going to leave me in the car." My father shouts behind me.

  Christ what was I supposed to do hold his hand up the steps. I turn around to face the unpleasant man. "Sorry father I thought your feet worked." He charges up the stairs and stops two steps ahead of home, probably so he could be taller then me for once. "Don't start with me boy!" He points a finger in my face and it's taking everything in my not to snap it in half. He turns around angrily, almost falling after missing a step.

  I follow after him once he reaches the door. I open without knocking and take him straight to the spare room next to Luca. "Is this the room?"He tries to look displeased with the size of the space, but he knows damn well Gio has a nice home. He just doesn't like to be below anyone. "Yes papa. Do you need anything else?" He walks into the bathroom and inspects it.

  "Take me to your sister." I exit the room and head down the stairs, Amara was in the kitchen last time I saw which was almost three hours ago, but she looked busy with wedding stuff so she should still be there. When I'm in the hallway connecting to the kitchen I hear her giggling. I know I'm about to ruin whatever joy she is feeling with my father.

  When I push opening the swinging door I see something foreign to me. Mario smiling. What the heck is he doing alone with her and smiling. "Move out of the way Lorenzo." I get shoved to the side by my impatient father. Amara's head swings our way, a shocked expression over coming her face. "Lo. Papa." She greets us with a nod. Mario straightens up, his usual grumpy look already replaced the smile.

  "Who are you?" My father ignores Amara and questions Mario. "Mario." He says dryly. "Mario who?" He presses. "Mario Carbone." My father is still not pleased by his answer but lets it go for now. I'm sure he will hound me of Gio later about him. "I'm going to go. Goodbye stellina." Mario only addresses Amara and leaves. The apples of Amara's cheeks turn pink but she looks down so no one notices, but I did.