Chapter 2: Clove

I throw my knife as far as I can. It dives deeply onto the dummy's neck. A girl with white hair walks up. "Hi," She says tremulously.

She picks up a metal knife, with a cruel, cut blade. "I'm Evangeline. House of Samos and House of Viper."

I yank a knife from the dummy. "Cool. I'm Clove. From District 2. Masonry."

 Evangeline thrusts a knife. The knife lands in the center of the head. "Is that supposed to be like a house or something?"

"No," I say. "Our districts of Panem have their duties. Like District 1, luxury, District 11, agriculture."

As I throw 9 knives, Prim, Katniss's sister, walks up to the knife station. "Hi! What are you doing?" 

Evangeline stabs a knife to the ground. "Knife throwing."

The two talk for a while. I just look over the spear station. I see my district partner, Cato. We are very close. I see Glimmer and Marvel, which they are from District 1.

Being from District 2, I have to train for the Hunger Games. It is against the rules, but Districts 1, 2, and 4 get away with it. That's why I'm so good with knives. 

"Clove?" Prim walks over to me. "Wanna get a drink?"

I smile. "Sure! Why not? We all need to be hydrated before the Games," I say.

Evangeline unravels her hair and rebraids it. I take a tiny sip of water. "So," I say. "What is the House of Samos and the House of Viper?"

"House of Samos is metal controlling. That's my dad's house. The House of Viper talks to animals. My mom either has a snake or a tiger next to her." Evangeline swallows the drink.

Prim shivers. "Creepy. That's scarier than the reaping,"

"Prim, you are 14. You're good at knives for someone so young." I say, giving her a pat on the back.

We all stand up and walk to the knife-throwing station. As a boy with blonde hair watches us, Prim, Evangeline and I throw our knives at the same time.

I turn to Evangeline. "Who is that?" I point to the boy.

"Kilorn Warren," Evangeline says. She throws her knife in a matter of seconds. "He's best friends with Mare, and he is a Red blood. No ability."

Kilorn walks away. I see him with a fishing rod. That is useless. "The only thing he is 'skilled' in is fishing." Evangeline continues.

"Fishing is a survival skill," Prim says. "He can get himself food."

Evangeline tosses the blade. "Not if he gets sick of fish. Kilorn can't set a snare or hunt."

I thought of Katniss and Gale. Katniss knows how to use a bow and arrow pretty well and Gale can set up snares. 

Prim throws two knives. "Well, let's hope he dies in the bloodbath," Prim says.

Well, I hope that the odds are in my favor.