Chapter 11: Shade

I drink thirstily from my water bottle. It's only been 3 days and we are doing awful. My friends and I lost so many people. "I need some food," Mare says, opening her bottle.

Evangeline scales her knife. "Well, can any of you kill animals?"

"I'm not Katniss Everdeen, Eve," Mare says coldly.

I fill my water to the top again. We haven't eaten, slept, or camped anywhere. We have been hunting tributes unsuccessfully. The sky darkens, playing the anthem. First, the girl from 2. I was shocked because Careers usually last until the end. Then Cal and Iris. I count who's dead. 9 in total. Not much.

"We should call out for sponsors!" Mare smiles. "That would work!"

Farley finds some fruit near us. "These look safe," She says. "I'll eat them."

She pops it in her mouth and falls to the ground. "Farley?" I nudge her. She doesn't stir.

"Is Farley dead?" Cameron asks. A cannon answers her. "Oh no! The berries must've been poisonous!" She exclaims.

"They're called nightlock," A voice rings out. I point my gun at a girl. It's Katniss!

 Katniss's group follows behind her. "Night - what?" I ask as I point to the bush.

"Nightlock," she says. Katniss leans down and strips some of the poisonous berries and pulls other berries from her pack. "See how they look similar?" Katniss asks. 

I nod slowly. The nightlock has the same dark color as the other berries, but the nightlock is shaped like a circle, unlike the other berries. The berries are like a lopsided blueberry.

Evangeline smells the safe berries. "I don't trust it. You aren't allied with us and I think you're trying to poison us," She says, pushing the berries away.  

"I'm helping you this time," Katniss says.

Cameron steps back and points to the girl Prim. "You... killed C-Cal, r-right?" Cameron trembles.

"Just because I'm young doesn't mean I'm a little girl," Prim rolls her eyes. "Let it go,"

The group walks away I stare at Farley's lifeless body in disbelief. Just as I throw away the nightlock, a parachute lands in my lap. "SPONSORS!" I cheer. Mare pushes me away, ripping the wrapping. She hold up five fresh bread loaves and goat cheese.

"YES!" Evangeline gives a small whoop. "FINALLY! WE DON'T STARVE TO DEATH!"

Evangeline cuts the loaves to slices with her knife. She takes a small knife and spread the soft cheese on the bread. Evangeline gets a good look at the knife and frowns. "This isn't a knife to kill," she says. "It's a BUTTER KNIFE!"

Mare lifts her chin which has a dot of cheese. "Why would that be in your pack?"

"I have no clue," Evangeline says. "But it's not funny,"

I take a bite of the bread slice. I close my eyes to savor the flavor. The cheese is strong and fatty. "Hmm,"

After an amazing lunch, I get in my sleeping bag. My eyes shut. Let's hope I don't die, I think

Who cares? Panem can die with me.