Monster-Emily

My tears have stopped but I still feel pain for him. A child should never have to witness something so gruesome. It's to know that he was tossed aside. I am happy that someone showed him some care. I can't imagine what it's like to lose the only family you have though. I'm glad that I still have my mom even if I don't have the chance to see her that often.

I push my head deeper into his chest as I wait for him to speak once more. I know there is more to the story. When he described the man I couldn't help the fear that overcame me. His description of the monster was spot on. Even though I know some parts of the story now I still want to hear the rest. I want to see if there is something that I have missed. To know if the arms of another monster have now become my comfort.

"The monster I mentioned name is Imone. I do not intend to give a name to your torturer, but I feel that it is something you should know." I nod against his chest to let him know that he is okay to continue. Perhaps it is a good thing that I am now on his lap, so he can't see the obvious fear on my face at the mention of him. "Imone became my caretaker, but he was hardly that. After Howard was killed, he liked to tell people that he took me under his wing. In front of people I had to act as if I was happy with him. In front of his men though it was the opposite. I will hide a lot of detail here, but I will tell you some things" he says.

"Why hide them from me?" I ask him needing to know.

"We do not want the images in your head or you dwelling on them. They are things that made us stronger now and no longer bother us. Oh Maximus wants me to reassure you for some reason that there was no sexual abuse. Does that make you feel better?" he ask. Not know that that is what I needed to hear I release the breath that I was holding.

"Yes, I'm sorry. It's not that I would treat you differently if that is what had happened. It's just that I wouldn't, well I wouldn't have a clue how to help you in that case." I say explaining my reaction.

"Okay" He says pausing for a moment. "Well Imone was a bastard and a dictator. He used to walk around the camp saying 'I'm One" to let everyone know that he is number one. When he was angry everyone steered clear of him. He loved to use his fist on others where no one else could see. It made breathing very difficult if you were the one he used them on" he pauses once more I believe waiting for my reaction. Unable to speak I trail my fingers along his arm, and they tighten around me as he continues.

"When he saw something he wanted, he took it. For children in the camp he would tell us we had to earn our place. He sent us begging in the streets. If we didn't come back with enough then he beat us. We had to work every day and be back when the sun was going down." He says. "That is how I met you. I will never forget how you looked that day at the park. I walked over and asked your mom for some spare change. You looked at us the entire time. Just before we moved on to ask someone else you grabbed our dirty hand and told us to eat with you." He says and I can hear the smile in his voice.

"You looked hungry to me. I was just trying to help. My mom couldn't help so I thought that if I gave you some of my lunch it would make you feel better" I say with a chuckle as I remember my ten year old self.

"We were mesmerized by you as soon as we looked into your eyes. They were so kind and such a beautiful shade of blue. We had already been handled by Imone for years and no longer knew kindness. You were like a breath of fresh air, but we were cautious. We had learned by then that kindness from anyone came at a price. Even though Maximus wanted to leave I begged him to stay. It had been days since we had eaten, and we needed the fuel. To this day that sandwich was one of the best things I have ever tasted" he says with a chuckle.

"Do you remember how hard I tried to get you to smile. I would go home trying to find the best jokes I could to tell you the next time I saw you. I remember it being one of my only goals" I ask him as I remember our Saturdays at the park. "After that first time I kept waiting each time to see if you would come again" I admit a little saddened at the thought.