No Breaks- Maximus

"Damn it Maximus. I was worried. Your mate told us she would call to tell us if everything was okay, but she never did. What the hell happened?" he questions.

"We talked. She couldn't handle it. She left. I won't go into specifics. Just know that you don't have to worry about the human anymore. Fill me in on what I have missed" I say. A pang of despair fills my chest. Unconsciously I rub the spot as if I can make it easily disappear. I already feel the loss of her. Things are just too quiet without my beast speaking to me and I need a distraction.

"What?! But that's not how things are supposed to go. Are you sure—" he starts to say.

"Just let it go Xander" I day needing him to shut up. I don't need to talk about. I've made up my mind and I just need a way to move past it. I need something else. He watches me with a pensive gaze, and I can see how he conversates with his beast. I really hope is not going to push the issue. Otherwise I'm just going to pop my ass right out of this office and find another distraction.

"Fine. Have it your way. Just know that if you want to talk once you get that stick out of your ass, I'm here" he says rising from his seat. "We have a problem and it's something delicate that I need you to deal with" he says as he steps in front of me.

Nice. Delicate work is my specialty. Something behind the scenes that needs to be watched closely is exactly what I need. I feel a sinister smile spread across my face as I relax my stance. This better be good.

"The day you lost control we gained a new prisoner who was trying to sneak around on our lands. When we found him it looked like he was preparing to snatch one of our own" a snarl leaves my lips at the thought and anger replaces my pain.

"Who?" I grit out.

"I'll get to that, but you should know that one of ours has actually gone missing. We caught him in time from taking another. Jefferson hasn't been seen in almost a week. His cabin shows signs of a struggle, and someone was smart enough to send a text to get his duties covered" he says with a heavy sigh.

"Who?" I snarl once more. To see that one of our more peaceful dragons have been taken really pisses me off. I may not have always gotten along with the happy fucker, but I have reason to believe that this may somehow be connected to the information we heard from the man working with Igneous' father. I just hope he is the bastard that we have caught. He would be perfect to work out my frustrations on.

"We have Igneous' father here in custody. He is currently waiting in the cells under the guard house" I jerk my head in a nod and prepare to evaporate before his voice stops me. "You should know that he has been asking to speak to Igneous. For all that have questioned him he refuses no matter how we....persuade him. I have yet to take this news to Magma or her mate due to the condition she was in" he says with another sigh.

Fuck. If I can't get him to talk then I will have no choice but to inform them. I know I would have to do it anyway because he deserves to know what his guardian has been up to. Then  I remember. Shit, she had her eggs.

"How is Magma doing?" I can't help but ask. The question feels foreign leaving my lips. Normally, I would always be happy to hear what she has been up to. I need to hear every snippet of information about her. Now, the question feels more familial. Almost like it's just a formality that I'm asking even though I actually care. That care has just somehow changed since meeting my mate.

"Magma is not in control right now. Caldera has refused to allow her back as she guards her eggs. Igneous is the only one allowed close to her at the moment" he says with a chuckle. "Just a word of warning, anytime one of us enters and she smells us, she shreds whatever clothes are touching his skin. I have seen way more of that human than I ever wanted to" he admits.