Ch. 6 - Plans and Alliances

The mansion had been searched thoroughly, from top to bottom, Second blasting apart the library table in the process.

Once they all knew exactly what was going on, they gathered in King's living room to discuss and plan; Second was still seething with rage, and Blue was trying to calm him down.

All the kids- apart from Plasma and Ditzy- were in their assigned room. Metsa was watching over them, and Victim had promised to fill her in once the meeting was over.

"So," Chosen began, "as you all know, this villain named King Orange and his accomplice Purple are plotting to return the Dark Lord to the Interspace. And apparently they've already left to do so."

"Yes," Elemental agreed, "I suggest we form a small recon team, like what we did in Endgame."

"No," Second objected, "King is powerful; I wouldn't have been able to beat him without distracting him with his own black hole. Purple is also quick with his mind and hands. It would be unwise for four people to battle them, even if all four had powers."

"We could just divebomb them," Ragey suggested.

"No, that wouldn't work either," Yellow said.

"Lasers, maybe?" Multi suggested.

"They would just shoot more back," Green pointed out.

"Well, we'll have to come up with something eventually," Purity stated.

"First, though," Deserved began, "we must know about the Void. Does anyone have any information?"

"I do," Victim and Silverfrost said simultaneously. Silver's face turned slightly pink, and she gave Victim a look that said "Let me do this." Victim nodded.

Silver continued to speak. "The entrance to the Void is underneath a hill northeast of here. There are no bushes or trees growing around nor on the hill, only grass. Within the hill is a pit, and at the bottom of the pit is a pool of water for you to land in."

As Silver spoke, Victim looked sadly out of the window at the village below. He really didn't want to return to the Void, much less think about it. He was afraid that if he went back in, he would never come back out. He couldn't fly, so he wouldn't be able to save himself when the time came; he always needed to rely on other people for help. He felt ashamed; he wanted to get along on his own for once. He needed the ability to fly. And yet, he had no idea how to achieve such a goal.

He sighed.

"The guardian of the Void stands guard in the granite room," Silver was saying.

"Do you know anything about this guardian?" Vermillion asked curiously.

"Uh... blue stick. Male. Wears a cape. Weapon: katana. Moves like the wind. Hears everything." Silver listed, counting on her fingers.

"What do you mean, 'moves like the wind?'" Smiling asked.

"'Hears everything?' Why?" Kod asked.

"He moves really fast," Silver explained, "I fought him once, and got pinned down after, like, a minute."

"I pinned down Purple once, in, like, twenty seconds," Green muttered.

"Irrelevant," Red hissed in Green's ear.

"Then how did you get Victim out?" Positive asked.

"I had to dig a tunnel above the ceiling to avoid an encounter. But there was a small scraping sound as I removed a slab of quartz out of the ceiling, and the door opened, and the guardian was standing there, looking for the source of the noise. I had to replace the quartz slab as quiet as possible to not attract his attention. Which explains why he 'hears everything.'"

"Point taken," Kod said.

"Alright," Chosen said, "here's what we'll do: we'll send half a dozen of the strongest fighters we have to intercept King and Purple at the hill. As long as we don't all die, we can always bring people back using animals and Silver's tunnel. But no-one will die; not on my watch," he added, as Victim gave him a sideways look.

"Right," Lime muttered.

Positive looked slightly less positive.

"Okay, let's just vote first," Deserved suggested, breaking the silence.

Chosen pointed at Second. "You go."

"Why?" Second asked, slightly irritated.

"You sent me on a recon mission last time, remember?" Chosen whispered.

"Oh." Second grimaced, then stood up; a while later, so did Deserved, Elemental, Positive, Uni, and Multi.

"Should we go now?" Second asked.

"Probably," Silver answered, "it's a long way from here."

"'K. Bye, guys!" Second waved as he walked out of the room.

"See ya!" Deserved said as he and the others followed Second.

A moment later, they saw, through the window, the six sticks zoom through the midnight sky into the distance.

A sudden knock on the door made them all jump. Who could it be?

Ragey, being closest to the door, stood up and opened it.

Outside stood a blue stick wearing a cape and a sheathed sword at his side- the guardian of the Void.

"I need your help," he began. Then he caught sight of Silver, and his face turned slightly pink. Silver looked back at him, and shrugged. He nodded.

"What sort of help?" Chosen asked.

Before the guardian could respond, everything went black, and the ground trembled. A while later, it stopped, and everything came back into view.

"That," the guardian answered.

"The Void?" Chosen asked.

"Yes. Two stick figures confronted me just now. They defeated me, so I had no choice but to let them do their business."

"Did they happen to be purple and orange?" Green asked.

"Uh... yes. How do you know that?"

"We've been discussing what to do against them," Purity explained.

"We've already sent six of our best fighters to intercept them," Disaster added.

"Great." The guardian looked relieved. "May we have an alliance? It may be necessary if we are to defeat him."

"Very well," Chosen stood up and held out his hand, which the guardian gratefully shook.

"My name is Cobalt, by the way," the guardian said, introducing himself.

"Well then, allow us to introduce ourselves as well," Chosen said.

Cobalt sat down in Second's empty chair and patiently listened to their introductions.