Chapter 38

"Help!" Lindsay yells. She and Steve sit back to back in chairs, tied together. She woke from being knocked out and began to yell for help.

"Hey, would you stop yelling?" Steve mumbles.

"Steve! Oh, my god!" she sighs, "Steve, are you okay?"

"My ears are ringing and I can't really breathe, my eye feels like it's about to pop out of my skull, but, you know, apart from that, I'm doing pretty good," he jokes.

"I have a plan, now that you're awake, do you see that table over there to your right?" she asks. He looks left, "no, your other right."

He turns right, "oh, yeah."

"Do you see those scissors?"

"Uh-huh."

"I think that if we move at the same time, we could get over there, and then maybe I could kick the table and knock them into your lap," Lindsay explains.

"And I could cut the binds," Steve adds.

"Yeah, and then we could get out of here," she says.

"Gotcha. Okay, yeah, we can do that."

"Yeah."

"Those morons, they left scissors in here?" Steve jokes. Lindsay begins to laugh.

"Yeah, morons," she says.

"Total morons."

"Okay, so, on the count of three, we're gonna hop," she instructs.

"Okay, good, hop on three. I gotcha," he answers.

"All right. One, two, three," the two of them hop slightly, moving to the left, "okay that worked. All right, let's try again."

"Right."

"One, two, three," the two move again in sync, getting closer to the table, "holy shit, this is gonna work!"

"We're close! Ready?" Steve asks.

"Okay. One, two, three," this time the movement is off and they crash to the ground, still strapped to the chairs, "well, shit."

"I'm sorry, Linds," Steve says.

"It's all right, Steve," she replies.

"No, we were so close," he says frustrated.

"It's okay, we'll get out of here," she reassures him.

"How do you know?" he asks.

"Because we always do. You always think of something," she says, "even in the worst times, you always pull through. I know you probably don't think it right now, but you'll get us out of here alive. I know it."

"You really think so?"

"I know so, Steve. I'm not just saying that because you're my older brother, you are brave and courageous. You have kept me and the Party safe when shit hits the fan."

"Wow, thanks Linds. That's really sweet of you," he says smiling.

"I know I haven't been the best little sister, but I just want you to know that I love you. And I will always be on your side," Lindsay says.

"Don't sell yourself short, kid. You're the best little sister anyone could ask for. You had a little bump in the road but you got over it. And that makes you just as brave and courageous as me. And if anyone tries to tell you different, they can talk to me."

"Thanks, Steve," she smiles.

"I love you, Linds, don't ever forget that."

The two lay on the floor in silence before the door opens. Four guards walk in, including the guard that interrogated Steve. He laughs at the sight.