08

"You're jesting

"You're jesting." Upon looking at the invitation placed in front of her, Seri breathed out a heavy sigh. A royal hunting event— an event where aristocrats attend, where the noble men would hunt for wild animals to gain the recognised of noble women. Women too can join the hunting however that is uncommon. A tradition was set, where noble women would give the men of their choice a ribbon. A social event in disguise of spouse hunting.

As of now, Seri had declined all of the offers. However as if odds were against her, she had to attend this annual's hunting event as her coming of age would be soon. Her coming of age ceremony was bound to be grand. That too would mean that she had to get married soon, and hence had to go for such tedious events.

//

She readied her hunting gear, mind set at the fact that she could furthermore prove her self-worth if she had achieved the highest amount of hunts among the aristocrats— that itself was a task as simple as breathing, considering how she was exceedingly outstanding in her expertise.

She felt reassured by the fact that she wouldn't be seeing Prince Jeno at the event in due to his absence in the past years. He too have never been interested in such events, though the nobles urged him to go, he shut down all the offers with his stern voice.

"Your highness would look better in white!" One of her maids scolded the other, as they quarrelled in the back, Seri could only space out in boredom. She had always disliked social events, not only is she constantly compared there but too had to put up an act— a facade of a well mannered princess.

//

He stood near the fireplace, the burning flame reflected in his eyes, it brought a dancing glow into the heart of his. Menacingly, like a predator hunting it's prey, he looked into the files of her recent activities, from stating every person she had crossed words with to every act she had done.

Though it was a taboo to openly spy on another member of royalty, he would disguise everything simply as an obsession with her— though that was well matched with the truth.

"Your highness, Princess Seri have accepted the offer to join this annual's hunting event." Prince Jeno's right-hand man reported, dutiful to his work, he was loyal to the prince he served. Reporting all his findings about the princess to him forthwith.

The corner of his lips curved into a sinister smile before signing a letter, mentioning his appearance in the annual hunting event. If others hadn't known of his intention, they would think he's absolutely head over heels for the princess.

Such an announcement would surely stir up gossips and rumours in the high society, that was his desired outcome. The sudden appearance of the two most esteemed prince and princess will certainly be the limelight of this event.

//

The bustling sound of chattering is almost piercing, the clacking of glasswares echoed in the open space. Igniting the world anew with such brilliance, the sun rose with casual elegance. The sun rays shone into the face of the nobles, only to show their visible flaws hidden under their caked skin.

Beyond the pageantry and ceremony, beyond the garments of grandeur, Princess Seri learnt how to become a warrior queen. She is expected to ride into battle, to defend the citadel even at cost to her own life. There is a reason that most in society settle for a more quiet existence. Royalty comes with a hefty price tag and, when that bill comes due, she will pay it with gratitude for her life.

Noble women would dress in feminine dresses that hugged their skin, the gentle and bright hue of their dresses fit in the spring setting around. Pink rosy cheeks and blood red lips, a common factor across all. They would doll themselves up to be as obedient as a doll to their puppet master just for survival.

Noble men would dress themselves in a plain suit, certainly not as fashionable as the women but it is to be expected. Men could only go so far in the fashion industry. They were there solely to raise their status in the high society— only for their own greed and honour. Among the sea of mediocre men with countless flaws stood perfection, a man with an outfit more stunning and incomparable to others.

His silk shirt ruffled at his wrist, dressed in a velvet black blazer, he had a killer body and his shirt without a doubt displayed it well. His shirt lose and casual, yet the designs were intricate and exorbitant. His hair was more styled than usual, though it had always been just as alluring.

He stood there in all of his glory, the tailored clothing was merely an accessory. What made him so prepossessing was his status and capabilities, everything about him makes him a figure of power. Everyone would lower their worthless heads upon meeting the young sun and glory of the empire.

Chattering among the aristocrats intensify in due to the appearance of the much anticipated couple. Upon meeting eyes with the magnificent prince, a lump built up in her throat, struggling to fight away the urge to curse him out. He strolled towards her, upholding an elegant step, each step he took stunned the aristocrats. He was simply stunning.

"Fancy seeing you here, my princess." He bowed courteously, placing a kiss on the back of her hand. Getting a bow from a prince of such omnipotence certainly was as rare as hen's teeth.

Seeing such an intimate greeting among the two made aristocrats hang their jaws wide open. Though such a greeting is a custom and a gesture of courtesy, to the disdainful prince, it was beyond doubt, an act of affection.

Their relationship to the high society, far beyond the truth, they were lovers in the eyes of the aristocrats. A couple envied by everyone be it a noble or a commoner, they seemed like a mythological couple— a goddess and a god. Yet they would bare a knife into each other's back with no hesitation.

"The annual hunting event officially commences!"