phase two, chapter four: brenner being not so bad..?

↳ ❝ [TAG, YOU'RE IT] ¡! ❞
PHASE TWO, CHAPTER 4.
by notanotherwinchester

1980 — AUTUMN

ATHENA HAD CONCLUDED THAT MAYBE, SHE SHOULDN'T HAVE PUSHED BRENNER BACK. But, in her defense, she didn't regret it one bit. For he had spoken so much shit she was surprised his mouth wasn't full.

flashback
He had made some stupid comment about her family, which made her quite literally rush towards him, but ended up being held back by Peter. She squirmed in the blonde's grip, trying to pull her arms away, but failing. But then, she relaxed in his grip. She could practically feel the confusion oozing from him in waves. Athena then looked Brenner dead in the eye and said:

"You had to make a fake 'family' because nobody wanted to love your desperate ass. At least I had a family that loved me and saw me as more than a savior. You didn't save these children, you trapped them just for your own twisted fantasies to come to life. I feel sorry for you." She spat at him harshly, not even regretting her words. Peter's grip on her waist tightened as Brenner stepped closer to her with a dangerous look in her eye.

He stared at her darkly, trying to intimidate her, but she just smiled. "You dare say such foul words to me?! I saved you. I saved all of you," He announced as he looked at all the kids. Athena laughed incredulously, about to spit another insult when Peter leaned forward, his lips brushing her ear.

"Don't provoke him. You're lucky you're not getting tazed right now." Athena shivered at his words, definitely not because he was so close to her she could feel his breath against her ear and his body pressed against hers. The tension was suffocating, it was like they were the only ones in the room. She turned her head to face him, instead coming face to face with his stupidly beautiful face right by hers. There was barely any space between them, instead, their lips were just a push apart and then they'd connect.

Athena opened her mouth to say something but was cut off by Peter, who pulled away from her with a small smirk on his face. She glowered at his expression and rolled her eyes, turning her head back around to face forward.

Peter slowly unwrapped his arms from around her waist, moving further behind her, but not before muttering to her.

"Maybe another time." He had whispered in her ear, causing a shiver to wrack up her spine and goosebumps to appear on her arms. She bit her cheek to stop herself from giddily smiling and instead wore a neutral expression.

Brenner looked from Peter to Athena, closely observing them. He wasn't dumb. He noticed all the looks they shared when they thought no one was watching, and how Peter protected her whenever he tried to punish her. He had finally found Peter's weakness, her. He could finally fully control Peter, he could make sure he wouldn't pull any dirty tricks on any of the kids.

But while Brenner thought of this, he was completely and utterly oblivious to a certain brunette wandering around in his mind.

Her eyes were slightly glazed over as she focused on his thoughts, her nose almost dripping blood but stopping once her finger came up to wipe it. She cleared her throat as she left his mind, standing straighter.

Brenner suddenly walked over to her and grabbed her arm, pulling her out of the rainbow room. The kids watched as she was pulled away, Peter watching their forms disappear down the hallway worriedly. Athena struggled against his tight grip on her forearm, finally planting her feet in the middle of one of the hallways after he dragged her a long way. She faced him then, ripping her arm from his grasp and crossing them over her chest.

"Where are you taking me?" She demanded, her voice hostile.

Brenner tutted. "To one of the rooms. It's time to see just how powerful you are,"

Athena frowned deeply and shook her head. "No. I haven't been here long enough, and even if I was, I don't believe you."

"You've been here for a week. That's more than enough time for you to adjust. Now, let's go." He held his hand out for her but she simply grimaced and motioned him to lead the way. Brenner took his hand back and sighed, walking down the hallway.

The brunette followed closely behind, looking behind her in fear of one of the guards coming up behind. Brenner unexpectedly stopped walking and grabbed her arm, pulling her into a room.

She looked over at him once the door was closed, her guard immediately going up. He stepped towards her, she took a step back. He motioned his hand to the chair, indicating her to sit. She reluctantly sat down in the hard chair, making eye contact with Brenner who had just sat down across from her. He brought out a Coke can, placing it in the middle of the table. It was empty and placed upright. He brought off a piece of paper and nodded his head.

"I want you, to move that can. With your mind." Athena shrugged at his request.

This was easy. She thought as she barely glanced at the can, it immediately flying to the wall where it crashed against the brick and fell to the floor. She smiled and looked at Brenner, who looked thoroughly impressed.

"Now, I want you to pick the can up and put it back on the table. Then, I want you to crush it."

Athena executed as was told, lifting it in the air with a flick of her finger as she guided it. She dismissed the slight pounding in her head and placed the can upright, clenching her fist and successfully crushing it. The metals of the can cracked and broke as its barriers fell. She looked back up at Brenner, slowly rubbing the tiny bit of blood that had fallen from her nose, away.

He smiled and wrote something down on the paper. He shook his head in admiration and told her she could go back to her room, expecting her to be tired like the other kids. But she wasn't. And she wasn't one to turn down her bed, no matter how uncomfortable it is.

That was yesterday. Athena found herself falling asleep within a few minutes of laying down. She nestled into the blanket, moving around, before settling down once she found a comfortable position. She closed her eyes and sighed. Her mind was filled with dreams of her family as usual, but this time, Peter was in them too.
════ ════ ════⋆★⋆ ════ ════ ════
a/n: i totally wasnt smiling and giggling when i wrote the part in the rainbow room🤭🥰 anyways short chapter today because yeah each chapter will be like a new day ig idk yet i just want this chapter out so enjoy