zero.

RISING MOON
CHAPTER ZERO
THE PROLOGUE

RISING MOONCHAPTER ZEROTHE PROLOGUE

• • •

EVANGELINE MARGOT HALE-CULLEN may just hate Forks, Washington. The dreary rain and cold weather and the townspeople. She was just so done with it. All of it. She couldn't wait until their latest high school graduation when they could move away to another home of theirs that they tended to rotate to in their moving cycle and start all over.

Okay, so the weather really wasn't that bad, Evangeline didn't actually hate the weather. She'd be willing to make that amendment. It was just the people in this boring town.

She hated the stares and the rumors and the whispers that they could all totally hear even without the gift of their supernatural hearing. Evangeline absolutely hated how people thought the relationship between her family members were gross. How they thought Alice was weird and Jasper was strange- how they thought Rosalie was a bitch and Emmett was just a thoughtless himbo jock.

They were so judgmental and narrow-minded and mortal. They were nothing in the grand scheme of things, their lives so incredibly short and delicate, and yet they wasted it on gossip and juvenile jealousies. Held back by their own insecurities, feeble wills, and conformist minds.

Cue Edward sending her a look. He'd heard her thoughts, so loud and clear. And he just wanted her to stop.

Don't get him wrong, he completely agreed and didn't necessarily scold her for her thoughts, but her irritation was increasing the volume of her thoughts and it was giving him a headache having to listen to his niece go on and on about how much she hated the world.

Currently, the family were just leaving the high school building and making their way to their respective rides in the parking lot. Alice and Jasper walked together with Edward, while Evangeline followed Rosalie and Emmett. They were all chatting about their days idly, and it continued that way until they got back to the house.

That was when Alice froze.

• • •

Immediately, Jasper was at her side while Edward lingered a bit of ways away, focus intent on whatever vision Alice was having. At least, that is, until he suddenly swore.

"Oh, you've got to be kidding me." Edward just about groaned as the vision seemingly ended or he'd had enough of it.

Alice squealed excitedly as she clapped her hands, jumping up and down lightly. Hyperactive like a puppy, she came up to Evangeline quickly, pulling her into a crushing hug that definitely would have hurt had Evangeline still been human.

"What is going on with you!?" Evangeline exclaimed with a yelp at the surprise attack by the pixie-like vampire.

"I saw you with a boy!" Alice exclaimed giddily, the wide grin on her face full of joy. She paused, "Or, at least I think it was a boy... I'm not sure it was kind of blurry."

"What?"

"Is he her mate?" Esme asks softly, curious.

"It definitely looks like it." Edward mutters with a shrug.

"How come you're not sure?" Rosalie asks.

"It was strange," Alice comments in that same airy tone she usually uses, "His face was blurry."

"Has that ever happened before?" Carlisle asks, a slight twinge of concern sparking.

"Not that I can remember..." Alice murmurs as she thinks deeply about any other past visions having blurs like that. "But I'm sure it'll be fine!"

Evangeline didn't know how to feel about that. Instead of smiling or looking forward to meeting her mate, or even feeling any kind of excitement, she frowned. She just wasn't sure what to feel because at the moment, it was so overwhelming.

For years, it had just been her and her family. Sure, there were times that she was lonely and wished she could find her mate. Sometimes she worried if she even had one. But that was ridiculous and just an insecure thought from her own low moments during her touch-starved loneliness.

She had eventually given up when there were no signs that she'd meet her special person any time soon and she'd grown comfort in just having her family and her hobbies, in having and loving herself.

So what was she supposed to do now?