three.

RISING MOON
CHAPTER THREE

RISING MOONCHAPTER THREE

. . .

Evangeline had noticed him as soon as she sat down, hearing his voice. It was new. Edward also seemed to be staring at the new girl who Evangeline had heard about throughout the school day. Both new kids were apparently siblings, and it was obvious. The girl and boy both had dark hair, pale skin, but that was where the similarities ended. The girl looked overwhelmed, sitting at a table of other juniors. She recognized Angela and Jessica, Eric and that other guy she couldn't really remember the name of, but it was probably something generic and lame.

The boy, on the other hand, was sitting at a different table, with Cassandra Yang. The two seem close, Evangeline notes, as she studies them. They speak with familiarity, and the boy smirks at the girl as they joke around. That smirk, oh, god, Evangeline was a goner as soon as she had seen that smirk grace his face. He didn't seem like much of a talker, but he did have a steady, easy conversation with Cassandra. She was sure if it weren't for being a vampire, she would have been blushing at that very moment.

"Is that him?" Rosalie asks quietly, as she notices her daughter's staring after the new boy.

"Yes," Evangeline says quietly, tearing her gaze away before he noticed she was staring at him. "That's him."

"His name's Jonathan Swan," Edward informs the group.

"As in son of Chief Swan?" Emmett asks. The chief of police's son. Evangeline wanted to scream at her horrible luck.

"What's he thinking?" Alice asks curiously, her hold on Jasper tightening. She seemed to be the only one actually excited, nearing buzzing in her spot. How Alice was able to contain her excitement, Evangeline had no idea.

"Cassandra is his friend. They've been friends since they were kids," Edward responds, sifting through the thoughts in the boy's head. "It's hard to read him, there's just so many things going on in his head."

. . .

Evangeline inhales deeply, before exhaling harshly, sighing as the bell rings. It was the end of the day, and she could finally go home. She had just gotten up from her seat, moving to leave, when she bumped into someone. Oh, and just her luck, she thinks bitterly, as she comes face-to-face with his chest. He's taller than her, as she stands at a whopping 5'5", while he looks to be about 5'9".

"Sorry about that," Jonathan breathes out, not expecting to bump into the pretty girl he'd seen back in the cafeteria at lunch. "Here, let me help you with that," He says as he bends over and picks up her textbook, just as she grabs her binder.

"Thanks," Evangeline says quietly, avoiding his eyes. God, he smelled so good. She could barely breathe without inhaling his intoxicating scent, and she wasn't sure how to handle it. She couldn't get enough of it.

"I'm Jonathan," he holds out his hand, smiling a little sheepishly, as his other hand scratches the back of his head. Even shy, his smile is charming.

"Evangeline," Evangeline responds, unable to hold herself back as she smiles back up at him, shaking his hand. She's unable to look away, though, when she meets his eyes. They're a beautiful swirling painting of light greens and blue, like the water in a well, sparkling in the sunlight and refreshing to see.

He doesn't seem bothered by her cold hands, and he smiles a little wider at her, retracting his hand, "Nice to meet you, Evangeline." Too soon, he's called away by his friend, and he bids her farewell shortly, before rushing to catch up with Cassandra Yang, "Well, I gotta go. See you around, Evangeline," and when he's gone, Evangeline feels as if she's finally able to breathe easily again, seemingly broken from his spell.

The encounter stays with her, and she can't help but think about the way his hand had felt in hers, and the color of his eyes, or the way his eyelashes framed them, or the bashful and charming smiles he had exchanged with her. Or the delectable way his blood smelled when he was close to her. She'd definitely have to feed again soon if she wanted to retain control over herself.

. . .

After the first day of school, Charlie Swan had taken his two children back to the diner for a good, family meal. Like always, he'd ordered a steak, and Bella had gotten a burger. Jonathan, like his father, had also ordered a delicious steak, though his was rare compared to his father's medium rare.

"I just can't get over how grown up you are," Cora says to Bella as she places down their plates of food. "And so gorgeous." Next came Waylon, who had once been their Santa, more fondly known as butt-crack-Santa.

Jonathan smiles as he watches Bella bashfully thanks the woman, not really remembering who any of these people were. The meal was lovely, though things were still a little awkward between Charlie and Bella, Jonathan had enjoyed himself greatly.

After dinner, Jonathan had recused himself to his bedroom, while Bella talked on the phone with Renee while she worked on her homework in her own room.

"How's Jonathan doing?" Renee eventually asked, before Bella could hang up. She'd just told her mom in few words that she'd had a bad day, especially after the rude first meeting with the notorious Edward Cullen.

"Good. Actually, really good." Bella told her mom with a smile. "He's gotten caught up with Cassie, again, so those two are thick as thieves." She heard them in Jonathan's room, then, as a thump resounded in the wall that connected their two rooms, followed by laughter. "In fact, I can hear them right now. Sounds like they're having fun."

"Good, that's good," Renee spoke, and Bella could hear the smile in the woman's voice. "I'm glad he's happy."

"Yeah," Bella smiled fondly as she heard Jonathan laugh wholeheartedly with Cassandra over her horrible impersonations of Sinatra, as one of his songs played off of Jonathan's record player, "Me, too."