Ch.9 Runaways

JAVIER POV 

Sergio came downstairs, joining the rest of the us. We had all stayed in the living room to discuss what we were going to do with Luciana and that other kid they brought. 

Dad was going on about setting appointments. Ordering Santiago to get them to see our doctor straight away. Dad had some suspicion that no matter how well put together they seemed on the outside they probably were suffering physically and mentally. 

"Who knows what those kids must have experienced working for that man, Fernando." Aunt Maisie commented, shaking her head. 

Leo pulled out his phone explaining the information Samantha's team was able to gather so far. Leo explained that a couple years ago groups of kids were being abducted all over Mexico to be trained under the Cartels. That way they didn't need to pay them and could control them to do whatever they wanted. 

"She's not the same little girl we once knew. Do you think Fernando would even waste his time getting those two back?" Uncle Louis questioned. 

"Perhaps he would try but I won't let that happened." Dad stated. 

"Don't you think it would been better to leave those two in somewhere else not in your home. I mean look at all the problems we have now. We don't know them, truly. They might be working uncover for Fernando. We don't gain anything from them being here, they're probably brainwashed and they'll will never be normal kids and --" Edgar protested, getting cut off by his dad. 

Uncle Lucas smacked the back of Edgar's head in frustration. "You're saying that because you don't remember  her but a lot of us here remember her fondly. Nine years doesn't change that fact that she is your little sister. Besides that boy Daniel seems like a good kid." 

"She's not my sister." Edgar muttered under his breathe, no one else hearing him but me.

"Maisie take them shopping with some  of the boys. Leo alerts the rest of our allies that she's back. I'll get the paperwork for her passport and guardianship. Everyone else helps with dinner so it's ready when they get back." Dad ordered. 

With that everyone dispersed. 

I waited out in the front waiting for everyone to come outside so that would could go to the store. I didn't want to stay and help cook with the rest and besides I had to keep an eye on Luciana and Daniel. It's like I can't properly live in my own house because there's two strangers living there. 

The front doors opened and out came the two kids, Sergio, Edgar, and Aunt Maisie.  

I put the key in the ignition and drove towards the city. Our bodyguards following our car closely. It had been years since we've encountered a problem but it was a measure we took to be on the safe side. 

With nothing to do but drive I tuned in on the conversation that was happening behind me. 

"Dad said to get them clothes, school supplies, and anything else they want." Sergio said, getting off the phone with dad. 

"We're going to school?" Luciana asked. 

"In six months because that's when the new school year begins."

"I didn't have to go to school in Mexico and Daniel only finished elementary."

"Damn. So y'all can't even read and write or do math." Edgar laughed.

They taught us how to read and write and some basic math."

"Who's they?" I interrupted to ask. 

"The camp." 

It looked like Edgar was about to say something but Aunt Maisie gave him a look that shut him up.

We finally arrived. There was many stores around the area that we should be able to find everything around here. 

"Could we can split up? Javier, Daniel, and I get the school supplies. The rest of you get everything else. I just really want to go home as soon as possible." Luciana pleaded to Aunt Maisie.

"Oh honey I understand. You two just got here and already we're getting you out of the house. Alright Edgar, Sergio, and I will go get them anything else they may need. Javier you're capable of taking care of them right?"

"Yeah, they'll be fine with me." I assured my Aunt. 

I watched them all leave before turning to Luciana. "What was that? Why did you want to split us up?"

"I'll explain while we get the school supplies. We need to hurry there's someone we have to meet."

Before I could ask what she meant by that, her and Daniel had already ran off  into the store.

 I caught up with them in an aisle eyeing the school supplies. They were clearly clueless as what to buy.

I grabbed a two backpack off a racks and zipped them open then handed them to the kids for them to hold. As we walked through the aisles of supplies I filled their backpacks  with journals, pencils, paper, pens, all that stuff and more.

"Explain to me what your trying to do."

"Gallardo by now knows that I'm gone. One of his people works here and I'm going to see them." She nonchalantly responded. 

"WHAT!" I said rather loudly in the store. 

"There is a women who lives close by that works for Fernando and it wouldn't be good for us if she were to spot us."

"And you think I would let you go talk to someone who works for a guy like Fernando?" Zipping their backpacks closed. "I'm the one in charge and I say were going home now."

I take both of the backpacks and head towards the cash register when from behind me Luciana asks a question. 

"What's that thing?" 

I turned around looking for what she is asking about. "Those are boards. You can write things on the white one and pin things on the brown one." One second she's asking to meet with a stranger and the next about some boards. Does she have no shame?

"Can I have them?" She asked, tilting her head to the side. 

I sighed. "Yeah, whatever grab them and let's go." 

After paying Daniel and Luciana carried the boards while I carried the bags in both hands to the car. I set the bags down once we get to the car getting out my keys to open the back. 

We started loading the car when suddenly Daniel and Luciana took off running out of the parking lot towards a residential neighborhood. 

"HEY! WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU GOING?" I shouted, tossing everything into the car and running after those two.  I just knew those two couldn't be trusted.