Through The Dark

I don't have much strength left to fight back....... There's just too many of them...............
...

Baji was walking towards home in a happy mood, wearing his new gang uniform that he just got today, when he suddenly heard a female voice of screaming with a faint sob coming from an alley, dark enough for any normal eye to recognise a figure. He asked, "Hello? Is someone there?" without entering the alley. No response came but some whispers were heard and some groaning like someone's trying to break free.

She was too weak at that moment to say anything, still she gathered the last drop of strength she had left and screamed, "Help". But soon after that she received a slap on her face for speaking. Then all she saw was, a flash of light and then the boy who slapped her fell flat on the ground receiving a punch from the owner of that light, then she collapsed. He was the first light that broke through her dark life.

The next day she found herself in the hospital bed, covered in ointments and some bandages. 'I must get out of here' she thought to herself as she knew she had to pay the hospital bills if she didn't escaped now and she had little to none money with her. Her dad's unemployed too and is a drunk. She works hard inside and outside of home and also in school. The monthly expenses are all beared by her, either by her scholarship or by her hardwork in her part time jobs.

She looked at the time and then jumped out of the window and ran as fast as she can to get home. She was late for her last test for this grade.

Although she reached after half an hour later, she had confident that she'll pass the test but she feared whether she'll be able to top this year or not.

After a few days, she was walking on the street on a bright sunny day as she was called in by the principal. She was on the way, "Why did she called me today? Is it about the last test? Did I scored really that low?" She was deep in thoughts when she saw a guy beating up other guys. After that incident she absolutely hated delinquents. The guy noticed her and said, "Alley-girl?!" She suspected that he was one of them who harassed her the other night so she walked as fast as she can to reach her school. He followed her and said, "Hey wait. Hey!" But she didn't stopped.

"Stop following me" She said firmly.

"Well then stop and talk to me"

"Please leave me alone don't follow me"

"Alright if that what you want!" He slowed down but still didn't stopped following her.

"You said you'd stop following me"

"I'm not following you, I have my own destination to go to"

"As if........"

Even when she reached school, he was behind her.

"You're still following me?"

"No"

"So now you're gonna say that you go to this school too?" She asked.

"Yes I do actually" He replied.

"Then how come I've never seen you?"

"Because you always walk with your face buried in a book! You're the topper, Avana aren't you? That's why you seemed familiar"

She only sighed knowing that he had a point but still remained silent and stomped forward. As she was approaching the principal's office, she again, "Now what? The Principal asked of you?"

"Ahh...... You're unbelievable"

She then knocked on the door, Baji stood beside her. A female voice said to come in and they both went in.

"Ma'am this delinquent kept on following me" She complained pointing at Baji.

"No I called for him. I've a favor to ask you my child" The principal spoke up.

"Anything you ask ma'am" She replied.

"Alright but before that Keisuke Baji you scored very poorly in your finals. I'm giving you a chance to correct yourself. Give a re-test after 2 weeks and Avana help him with his studies"

"Ok ma'am" Baji said.

"But ma'am why should I tutor a delinquent?" She couldn't believe her ears.

"You would get extra points for helping him and points mean you'll get scholarship"

"Uhhhh.... Fine but just till his re-test" After that they both exited the office.

"Hey just listen to me" He grabbed her hand and forced her to listen to him.

"What?"

"Why did you ran away from the hospital? I came by to visit but the staff said that you left"

"Excuse me?"

"I'm the one who saved you that day when some guys attacked you" He pointed his thumb up and smiled proudly.

"Really?"

"Yes I was trying to ask you how are you but you didn't listen and why did you escaped?"

"I'm sorry I didn't know and thank you really, and I left because of the last exam and I'm really sorry"

"It's ok. You collapsed that day so it's normal that you didn't recognized me.
By the way, I'm Baji, the attack unit of Tokyo Manji Gang and if you're ever in trouble in the future, just call me. Friends?"

"Pfttt..... You're sweet. Well I'm tutoring you anyway. So when are you free?"

"I'm free 24/7 except when I have to attend meetings and fight other guys"

"Why do you like to beat other people so much?"

"Well if someone challenges us we can't back down and to become the number one in Tokyo"

"That's so immature. I hate guys like you, but since you saved me, I'll return the favor by helping you in getting a pass mark. Alright?"

"No you hate those guys who harassed you they are not true delinquents. Not all are like them, and I'll prove that to you someday"

"Yeah good luck with that. Let's go to your house and I'll start with maths. Ok?"

"Yeah" After that she followed him to his house under the blue sky. When they reached their destination, she found out that he lives in her neighborhood.

Avana's POV.........
I asked him a few basic math questions but he couldn't answer most of them. I guess I've to work harder than I'd expected.

But teaching him was kinda fun. He sucked at evey subject but he's a fast learner. He's not a bad person even being a delinquent. He always finds a way to make me laugh. And on top of that he saved me that day, I'm really grateful that he found me that day.

TO BE CONTINUED..........